Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

What to do with baby kitten?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi,

This morning in the barn, I found a baby kitten. It's probably about 6 weeks old. We have lots of stray cats around here, and to be honest with you, I don't want to keep any more. And I'm not hot about driving a long distance to the Humane society and paying money for them to take it.

So.....what can I do to maximize this little guy's safety? I don't want to put it in a cage. He's just under some junk in the barn. I'm hoping his mom had several there, and is in the process of moving them.

I don't really want to encourage it to stay, by feeding it, but I don't want it to starve to death.

I'm thinking it's mom is around, since we're far from any other houses.

Any suggestions? I don't want to feel guilty for taking this position of not wanting to bring it in, or take it to the humane society, so please don't anybody feel like they have to make me feel guilty.

I just want to maximize it's chances for survival, without bringing it in. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (7)

• ellix
    17 years ago

Why don't you bring it in, give it a bath to get rid of fleas and love it so it is friendly,then call your local newspaper to get it a home. Here it is free to do that. In the week to follow feed it and enjoy it. You will be amazed at how many people want a friendly little kitten. Be careful to screen the new owners and get it the best home you can-he/she deserves it. Best of luck.

• wildlifegarden
    17 years ago

catherinet, I am the biggest animal rescuer/lover in the world and I also wish to not take in more cats. the bonus you will get from caring for this kitten is he/she will hopefully get spayed/neutered, thereby not creating 100's more kittens for you to find who cannot make it out there on their own.

does your humane society have night drop off cages? if so, I would make sure not to deposit the kitten much before they open or bad things can happen to him/her while they are in there.

do you have any private rescues in your area, check the local papers and the web. you might be surprised.

michelle

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THanks ellix and michelle,
    I went out to check on her about 45 minutes ago, and she was dead. :( I feel horrible. I really thought the mother cat would come back and get her. I buried her next to where I buried 2 of my sweet little chickens.

• ellix
    17 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that. I feel so deeply for the animals who are uncared for. There is so much that can happen out there. I feel when God places an animal in my sight- he does it for a reason. Many times it works out great- other times my heart is broken. Each time though I learn. In the future though if this happens don't be afraid to give a week or two caring for it as you can get a great home for them - (done it many many times). What's a couple of weeks -really? My cats live to be 14-20 years so be happy to give a couple weeks of love and nuturing in order or give them a chance of a long life. I am not trying to make you feel bad, what I am doing is just trying to express how easy and how little time it really takes and how you can give an animal a chance on a long and happy life. Good luck and know that little kitty is playing with many others in a place that only beautiful things can happen-with our Lord Jesus.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks ellix.

• wildlifegarden
    17 years ago

well said ellix!

I know that God brings me all these animals cuz He gave me a heart for them. Any time I dont listen to my inner voice (which is God whispering in my ear), I always feel sad at the results.

catherinet, this may have been preparing you for something that is to come.

blessings, michelle

• prairiegal
    17 years ago

Here's some consolation from someone with 45 year's experience owning cats: if that little kitten died the very same day you first saw her/him, then in all likelyhood the outcome would have been unavoidable. That was either a very sick kitten or one already at death's door for some other reason.

So, don't feel bad! Cats are tough creatures, normally, and a few hours indecision is not a life-or-death matter. Just last November I stepped outside on a very cold day--after several days of sub-freezing temps and snow flurries--to find a screaming little kitten hardly bigger than a mouse, on my patio. She was skin and bones and obviously had been abandoned for quite some time, with some cuts and abrasions from her "adventure" in the wilds.

I scooped her up, fed her, gave her a warm place to rest, and within a day she was bopping around the house. After a trip to he vet's for some worming and mite medicine, and shots, she quickly overcame her days/weeks? of trauma... and is now sleeping on my bed, a fat, sleek, healthy cat named Lucy. :-)

So, you see, kittens *usually* can endure a lot. You probably couldn't have saved that one had you tried.