Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amateur_expert

Relocating animals...

amateur_expert
18 years ago

Hi all. I hope you can help. I have a HUGE holly bush in my front yard - probably 20 feet high or more. It is also about 10-12 feet wide. It is planted by the front walk and I think the person who planted it payed no attention to how large it would get - which is unfortunately the case for so many of the beautiful plants I have "crammed" into my yard. As we slowly clean up the yard, we realize it just has to come down and we need to put something more suitable in its place.

HOWEVER, this holly has been the official home of rabbits and umpteen birds ever since we moved in. My children and I enjoy watching each year as new little bunnies emerge from under its protective limbs and we love to go out and look at all the birds' nests in its branches.

I just can't bear to evict all those animals! My question is how do I "relocate" the animals? meaning -how do I go about giving them another suitable home space while we take the holly down? And what should we plant in its place that will also attract these animals? The holly has been crowding out a pyracanthis that we are going to leave up but it does not provide cover on the ground for the bunnies. Any advice you have would be very welcome!

Comments (6)