Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana3_gw

woodpecker

diana3
15 years ago

I have successfully been feeding birds in my yard. I now have a woodpecker hanging out too. He seems to like the palm tree best. When I put out suet other birds and squirrels eat it. I bought a special blend seed cake and put it in a cake feeder, but the squirrel got to that too. I have a wire peanut feeder but other birds devour them first. What can I do? I want to keep Woody. The squirrels have their own corn feeder. What foods are there just for woodpeckers? Any special tricks to keep others away?

Comments (5)

• terrene
    15 years ago

Yopu could try putting raw suet or even plain lard in a suet cage. I put raw suet in a suet cage this past winter, but not during the summer because it may melt and spoil in warm temps. I hung it on the north side of a big Oak tree, so it was out of the sun. The Chickadees, Woodpeckers, and Nuthatches seem to like it best, with a few other birds nibbling on the fat too. The good thing was that the squirrels didn't show any interest in it at all, although they LOVE the suet mixture I make for the suet log (which has a squirrel baffle).

• birding_nut
    15 years ago

You can also get suet cakes with hot pepper powder mixed in. Mammals like squirrels hate it but birds can't taste the hot pepper. I feed my parrot dried hot peppers and he eats the seeds with no problem. Birds don't have the taste receptors for hot.

BN

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

They make a upside down feeder that works well. I think you could make a homemade one by constructing a bird house with a wire bottom and a hinged top. Of course if there is few things for the squirrels to eat they will chew through the wood.

Last year I was frantic because the Easter freeze came when the oaks were blooming. I did not know that pin oaks the type in my front bloom one year and have nuts the next. There are other nut trees across the road from me but not as many nuts on the ground as usual. Those of you that feed wildlife, birds etc may want to look arround at your food sources to see what is available and plan on feeding more.

• diana3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for replying.
    Raw lard sounds awful but I'm willing to try it. Wonder why the squirrels don't like it?
    I saw both the suet log feeder with a baffle and the upside dn feeder at Birds Unlimited. I was hoping to be able to use the 3 suet feeders I already have. One of the threads on wdpkers indicated that small woodies couldn't use the upside dn feeder. It didn't explain any further. I might try to amend the suet feeders with wire but I'm unsure how small the holes should be. I've heard about putting pepper in bird seed to keep squirrels away but it sounds cruel. I may have to resort to buying suet with it though.
    You all gave me some good ideas that I will try out this weekend. Thanks again

• terrene
    15 years ago

Diana, check out my post on the "Furry tailed rats" thread, where it explains the baffle system I use, and there is a picture. This setup has been 100% effective against squirrels, raccoons, and chipmunks, all of which I have. It's funny to watch a squirrel or chipmunk climb up the pole, under the baffle, and then a few minutes later, come back down!

I don't think a Downy woodpecker would have any problem feeding on an upside down feeder? They are well used to picking at the underside of branches. I'm not sure how you would keep undesirable birds off of suet feeders (such as House Sparrows, Starlings, and Grackles, which can mob a feeder and clean it out). I had a little problem with Grackles this summer, so I didn't fill the suet log as regularly as I do in the winter. This is okay, since the primary food source for birds in the summer is insects, which are abundant during warm weather.