Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This cardinal

Posted by pondwelr z5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 17:03

I have my feeders just feet from my windows so get a closeup view of the birds. One cardinal is lacking the stiff feathers that make his cockade. In fact, his head looks like he is wearing a black swimmers cap.
I also noticed that one female has no red tones at all to her underfeathering. She is just plain charcoal grey.
No pink, no rose.

Anyone else notice genetic oddities in their birds?
It kind of disturbes me. I rarely take photos, but perhaps I should do so. You think?

Is there a birding site that I should be posting to?
Pondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This cardinal

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had seen a group of cardinals with strange coloration. The ones I saw were of mixed colorations and feathering. One of the birds had a black ruff arround the neck.

I am in Kansas City just north of the Missouri River.

o
RE: This cardinal

I apologize. I realized today that I had posted about a flock of robins with strange coloration. I have seen the black capped cardinals but the ones I have seen seemed to be going through a late molt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here