Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Long Stalk Holly, Ilex Pendunculosa

newyorkrita
20 years ago

Wow, I just bought two of these at the local nursery half price sale. I have never seen them before. They have lots of red berries that hang down on longish stems, unlike other hollies, and therefore the name. The leaves look like laurel leaves and are evergreen to boot. Mine are female, in full fruit. No males to be had locally. I looked up information about them on the net as soon as I got them home and they sound wonderful!!!!

Anyone have growing tips ??? Supposed to take some shade and grow up to 15 feet. I need to find a mail order source to get a male !!!!!!

Comments (21)

• gazania_gw
    20 years ago

You will find this lovely holly in your home state at the nursery posted below. I am growing a male and a female just purchased this year after looking for them for several years. I did not get them at Roslyn, but was lucky to have moved to a little town that has a nursery that breeds and grows it's own hollies.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.roslynnursery.com/

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info that Roslyn Nursery has them. I had looked up the Long Stalk Holly at all the places I usually get shrubs like ForestFarm and Fairweather but didn't find it. Never thought to look at the Roslyn Nursery website as I have never bought anything there. And they are pretty close to me!

Anyway, I liked the hollies so much that I went back were I bought them today because I knew they had afew more. I just flipped over these so I decided I wanted them. I did not want to wait because I didn't want them to get sold before I went back there. The two I bought yesterday were the nicest but I was able to get three more females and a MALE also!!!! Persistance pays off as I looked all around where the female Long Stalk Hollies were and found a male stuck away near there. HA!!!! I am one happy camper. The male is larger than any of my females but all were the same price, all half of the regular price.

I got one of the females planted today plus I planted two Viburnums I had gotten yesterday also.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I also checked Solomon Holly Farms and they have the Long Stalk Holly in both sexes also. I have never ordered from them but plan to in the future. Wouldn't be suprised if I get some more of the hollies in the future. Meanwhile I set some of the Holly up in a row right in front of a new wooden fench I just had redone. That is the posts were fine but the 40 year old fenching itself was falling apart so new fencing went up. Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the old fence was a rustic weatherbeatten color and the new is so starkly new wood color. I figgure I will put in the Long Stalk Holly in front of the fence in the area were there is nothing now, so that the nice green will break up the looks of the fencing.

Then I will need to put another row of shrubs in front of the Longstalk Holly. It will be Viburnums but I need to have them grow only about 5-8 feet tall as I want a two tiered effect since the Holly can get tall. Then I can see this area really good from my inside windows and also my patio area where I hang out in the summer so I want the Viburnums to be especially attractive ones. Need about four for the spot. Don't want any Arrowwoods there as they leaf out too late. Plus maybe ones that hold their fruit in winter would be best so I can see birds visiting from my kitchen windows. Have to think on it during the Winter.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

SO far, no birds have eaten the Long Stalk Holly berries.

• vonyon
    20 years ago

Rita: Are these native hollies? Just wondering. I have noticed a lot of stuff with berries still on them at this point.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

No, they are not Native Hollies. I did do research on the net about them after I brought my first two home and before I went back to the nursery and bought more. I found lots of advice that the berries were eaten by birds. Of coarse, there is lots of Winter left so I expect they will be eaten but they are not the food of first choice, at least not here in my garden. The Winterberry Holly has been eaten on thru the cold weather and the crabapples. The black chokeberry around here does not make it past summer and the pokeweed berries get eaten all fall. The Arrowwood Viburnum berries have been stripped long ago but there are still berries left on some of the other types of Viburnums. Also berries on the Honeysuckle Vines here. Another thing not eaten here have been the fruits off the Barberries and the Euronomus (can never spell that one corectly!). The Euronomus is food of last resort here so we will see if the Longstalk Holly goes before it does.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, the Mockingbird is eating the berries of the Longstalk Holly. Its really nice today, near 50 and bright and sunny. We still have snow on the ground, though. All, and I mean all, the other berry sources are gone except for some evergreen holly and euronymous and the longstalk holly. Still, its only early Feb and there is still alot of winter left so I worry about the birds finding berries until the spring bugs come around.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The Mockingbird has been eating the berries of the Longstalk Holly everyday now. I can see there are less berries on the plants and I see it sitting and eating berries. Before Tuesday, no one bothered with them.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The Longstalk Hollies have put on new growth for the spring and are doing well. No signs of flowering yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, the female Longstalk Hollies have been flowering now for almost two weeks. The male is just getting ready to flower now. Its amazing the number of flower clusters he has compaired to the girls but I am afraid he might get going too late for them to set berries. He is in the shadiest spot. I will move him to a sunnier spot late this Fall or early spring and see if that works better. Meanwhile, all I can do is wait to see if the girls set berries. They are lovely plants and all seem to be doing well with lots of new growth.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No berries set on my Longstalk Hollies this year. I am going to move the male into a sunnier spot so that he blooms sooner.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Now that the berries are ripe, I did see afew berries on my female Longstalk Hollies. Nothing like the berry set on them when I bought them. I figgure they had to settle in but I stil need to move the male to a sunnier spot early next Spring.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Too early for blooms on the Long Stalk Holly. Seem to have come thru the winter well and the berries are all gone although they did last a very long time (so birds don't eat them until they are really hungry).

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Well, this has to be one of the oldest threads I've found on GW. I stumbled upon this discussion while looking for comments on Ilex pedunculosa; we're discussing whether or not they are ugly over on the New England forum.

NY Rita, if you are still there, do you still like these shrubs? I've got 5 or 6 and I love them, others claim the foliage is a sickly yellow in winter. It may be that mine get enough shade from trees to their south that they retain good leaf color - or maybe it's the particular strain of I. p., or maybe I've got on rose-colored glasses.

>the berries ... did last a very long time so birds don't eat them until they are really hungry

Some berries don't become palatable until they've been through lots of freeze-thaw cycles, or aged on the stem.

• jlynn
    17 years ago

I just stumbled on this thread. I would love to grow some hollies for critters, but so far havent found any that are hardy enough.

Also what kinds of critters will use the holly?

Blessed be,
    J'Lynn

• chrsvic
    17 years ago

As far as winter hardiness, winterberry (Ilex verticillata) is pretty tough. I think it likes a fairly moist location. Its a deciduous holly, and of course you need males and females to get berries. I've previously grown the cultivar "Winter Red,", was pleased with the fruit display, and know at least the robins like the berries (and probably other birds as well.)

• vonyon
    17 years ago

Diggin, I have been told that it is both sun and wind combined that hollies don't like in the winter. Maybe your exposure is just right. Likely the trees that are shading it are also breaking up the wind.

JLynn, I'm including a link to a company that specializes in growing shrubs and trees for COLD!! They sell to Canada and Alaska. I think they happen to be in a cold pocket in upstate NY. I believe it may even be zone 3, so you may want to look there. Given that you are in Wyoming though, I would look for something native. It may do better and it would be a healthier environmental choice. Also, if you want to call these people, they are extremely helpful in pointing you away from plants that won't do well in your area and toward the ones that will. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Lawrence Nurseries

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't you just love these old threads? I can just about see the progress in my garden with some of them.

Ok, so for some reason two out of my four female LongStalk Hollies died. Then the past two years the other two females did not set berries even though I do have a nice large male. This past fall, I moved the three of them from where they were (the male was on the opposite side of the house from the females) to a new spot in my front yard were they will be fairly close together.

I also ordered two more females from Fairweather Gardens coming this spring.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Planted my two new female Longstalk Hollies. Will see what blooms this year. I think they will all do better closer together and maybe get some berries again.

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Sorry, basic sex education, to have berries(children) you must have both male and female. Moving two females together may make them happier but berries are not likely to develop.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha, ha. I know but moving the two females closer to the male is bound to make them happy. I know I have four females, two new ones this spring, plus my two older ones. Plus I have one male. It should just work out fine.