Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

Keeping Birds Happy in the Cold Months for City Folk

valentinetbear
16 years ago

I live in a rowhome (townhouses that are for blue collar people -- or merely just local lingo) in Philly, so our "yards" are, at best, 16 feet X 16 feet, and generally concrete. I container garden, but never had to worry about our local sparrows (pigeons, and starlings too, but I'm not fond of them, so not trying to keep them around) having a nice hiding place in winter, because the house, three doors down (which means merely 48 feet from my house), had let their backyard go, and it had vegetation two stories high, with only a very tall rose bush that I could identify. Well, apparently something happened, and it got sold last winter, and the new owners took out all the growth. Gotta mean it's up to me to give our local bird population a place to survive the winter. Ut-oh!

The tallest plants I have are the dead, dried popcorn stalks (already picked what was left of the popcorn) and what's left of medium-size sunflower stalks behind a trellis (each end stuck into a container, if you're wondering how to do a trellis with concrete), with the left side supporting my two year old clematis, and the right side and the 4-foot high, chain link fence all along that side) supporting a variety of vines:

- dead pumpkin vines that had Powdery Mildew, but, fortunately, for the birds, one of the pumpkins didn't make it to harvest time, so lots of pumpkin seeds and goo on both sides of the fence

- moonflowers

- hyacinth beans

- malabar spinach

- wild morning glory (I think)

- "hummingbird vine" (bought from the Sunday paper coupon section, where it promised 8 feet in the first year, and lots of flowers hummingbirds would love, but never got past 5 feet, and never flowered at all).

I also have tomato vines, some four feet high parcel (not sure if it's a hybrid or regular herb, but it taste like parsley and celery), some small bushes (lavender, a hummingbird bush that is less then a foot high, a 2-3 foot wide X 18 inch high rose with garlic growing around it, A spindly Russian Sage, that will die back in the winter, way too many basils), a container with blue fescue and tall plumed purple grass that's about 3-4 feet tall bought in August, and a 1 foot fig "tree," that is hardy up to my zone.

Having had problems with squirrels for the tomato plants in previous years, half of them are under bird netting for fruit trees (I never considered they'd keep growing when I put the netting on, and can't get it off, now that it's so intrically caught throughout the different tomato plants. Doh!)

I've been collecting the hyacinth seeds religiously, until today, when I noticed the amount of bird poop on my succulents right underneath them. Just researched and discovered that the beans are edible, so the birds can have the rest.

What I need to know is what do I let remain, even after they die, so the birds have places to hide in during the winter? Also, out of all I've mentioned, what would they enjoy during the winter months to eat without poisoning them accidentally?

I can't/won't do bird houses, both because I have no place to hang any, except on the trellis (which I'd prefer using to hang some bird feed instead) and, frankly, I have a bug phobia that included maggots, so don't have the courage to clean them out.

Being disabled, I usually take out all the vegetation for composting, to make it easier to start over next year, but birds surviving winter trump "easier next year."

Can you help someone so incredibly naive about helping birds survive? Thanks for the education lessons, ahead of time. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Teddy Bear Blog, which includes photos of the garden

Comments (8)

• maifleur01
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The BBC had a piece on how to help birds which I have linked. Although they mention house sparrows which are declining in England perhaps anyone interested to follow the link to some of the English sites. The United Kingdom seems to be ahead of this country in trying to protect their bird population.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to help city birds

• loris
    16 years ago

I've heard Aronia (chokeberry) mentioned as good winter food. I have Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima' and it does seem that the berries don't taste good enough that the birds go after them right away. Last year by spring the berries were mostly gone, so I think something was making use of them.

Lori

• loris
    16 years ago

Sorry. I didn't take the part about container gardening, and Red chokeberry would be too large. Aronia melanocarpa (Black chokeberry) might be small enough, but I'm not sure if it would ok growing in a container.

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Leave some of the foliage trash until late in the winter. The birds like to sun themselves on top of dried stems and late in the winter the birds with start scratching under the edge of the pile for early bugs. Don't worry about attracting bugs with these piles the bugs are already there but just congregate where it is warm an moist.

If you know anyone in your row that decorates for the holidays with foliage ask them if they would bring their leftovers to your place for the birds. Depending on the area these holiday decorations can have holly, juniper and other berries the birds like only after a freeze.

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Potted evergreens and hollies are great bird magnets. They make berries and cones for birds to eat, they make great hiding spots from predators and they make great nesting spots for birds and they help protect from cold winds. A small Splashing fountain is good too. They love the sound of water. You can provide raisins, dried cherries, and grapes for fruit eaters and peanuts for jays and woodpeckers. Suet is always good. A good mixed birdseed with sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, peanuts and sunflower chips and dried fruit. Try to avoid mixed seed with millet and Milo because they do tend to draw house sparrows and cowbirds. Unless of course you like those. Peanut butter is a good thing for attracting Carolina wrens and nuthatches and some wood peckers. Hope this helps you some. Good luck.

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Sorry i didn't mention this either. Please do leave leaf litter because a lot of birds do love digging in it and scratching up bugs. Bugs are a number one food source for a lot of birds. Even seed eating birds all feed their young, bugs. Of course these are outside bugs not the type that get in your house :-) Maifleur is right, Bugs are great for birds! LOl...Brown thrashers and robins love digging in leaves and wrens love hunting under every possible leaf still hanging on. Many, many, other birds enjoy them too.
    Bonnie

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

If you get a cut Christmas Tree, leave it out in the yard when you are done with it. You can even ask your neighbors for theirs. Bind them together loosly,like a TeePee. Find large pinecones, fill them with peanut butter then roll them in a good birdseed. If you have enough cones hanging on the tree the neighbors will see what you are doing and not think you are being lazy or trashey, great food, great shelter and best of all it's free!

• valentinetbear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry for not getting back to this sooner, but have been reading responses, while I continued to undo and redo my garden. (Undo = trashing diseased plants, cleaning and bringing in the terra-cotta and decor, gathering the last of the tomatoes for eiither pickling or letting them grow red in cardboard boxes, protecting borderline periennials, cooking and then tossing cream of celery soup - parcel is a bit overpowering - yuck, gathering some plants for composting, etc. Redo = bringing in the herbs and tropical succulents for my attempt at overwintering them, plus bringing in the lettuce and broccoli onto the unheated front porch.) Still not completely done, but the freezing temps have arrived, so not as big a hurry now.

It was just too late in the season to plant new shrubs and/or trees, and, with a 16 foot squared yard, even one small tree means, at best, half the yard would be filled with it, considering trees or bushes generally grow as wide as they do tall. It's hard enough to figure out how to fit just the minimum of what I want to grow - considering we both like flowers, herbs, and vegetables from our garden. (The pumpkins were happy accidents, never to be done again -- I hope. LOL)

Also, I'm not keeping birds alive to watch a wide variety of them eat my offerings. I can't even see outback from our too high window and I'm in Philly. Our bird population consist of sparrows, starlings, pigeons, and on a rare occasion, robins. I did meet a man, who used to live down the street, who actually had hummingbirds come to his yard (thus the references to several plants hmmingbirds would love), but haven't seen any myelf. My hubby worked at a base with lots of warehousing half a mile from here, and discovered a peregrin falcon was feasting on the pigeons in pme pf the wharehouses, but those birds require accommadations I simply cannot supply (unless I work towards attracting pigeons and rats. LOL) Since most of my life has been in the burbs or country, I do know most of the birds everyone mentione, they just aren't city dwellers. I haven't even seen a chickadee or wren here.

I've also only seen a couple of pinecones, including neightbors' Christmas decorations, in the 16 years I've lived here. You'd think a state named "Penn's forest" would plant some pine trees, or leave some around and plant around them, but if they did either, not many have lasted in this city.

I did check out the British site linked, which gave me some added ideas, if I run out of regular bird food (cereal with dried fruit in it -- my favorite, too), but kinda hard to figure out the differences in weather for them, since they're more like Seattle cold, not Philly cold. Since my other passion in life is teddy bears, I've come to know some from the UK, and saw pictures of them snowboarding last winter, and I know they brought out their marigolds before we did, so it gives a rough idea of the mild differences. My bears now want to make the birds some grapevine wreathes with dried fruit and millet for them.

Not sure how to leave vegetation around for bugs to congregate, since they are usually busy in the bottom of my compost bins (5-gallon plastic buckets and a large plastic trash can all with a bunch of holes in the lower sides and bottoms for easy access for the needed bugs), but will hope the vegetation still left out there will be kind enough to make those piles as they fall apart during the winter. I just hope most of it goes into the containers, so it doesn't end up clogging our drain during rain and snowstorms. (I also hope I don't see the amount of bugs I found last spring in one bin. Folks with bug phobias just shouldn't compost. LOL)

Have discovered they do not like sweet peppers or green tomatoes -- not even the squirrels went for them -- but am hoping for our Indian Summer, so a few maggots might pop out of what is left over, since I now know birds need bugs!

Thanks for all the ideas and links. I will be asking neighbors for pine boughs and trees after Christmas. Worse comes to worse, they should add some protection from severe storms in the worst of winter for my feathery friends.