Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandwhy

best place to order seeds?

sandwhy
18 years ago

Hi all!

I'm usually seen lurking over in the butterfly forum, but wanted opinions on the best mail-order places for seeds such as millet, buckwheat, sorghum etc etc etc. Price, selection, customer service are all under consideration!

I am in zone 5 near Chicago... looking to add some "real" birdfood to our little backyard (that doesn't come out of a plastic bag!).

Many thanks in advance for your help! :)

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Sightings (at our feeders)

Comments (3)

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

Haven't tried them yet but I'm planning a large grain garden next spring and will be ordering from Bountiful Gardens: http://www.bountifulgardens.org

I've only heard good things about them and the work they do. The prices seem good, too.

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

The plants listed could be sowed from your bird seed. Look your seed over and pick out the best looking seeds. To check viablity sprinkle some of the seed on paper towels rollup, moisten, and put in jar or plastic bag to see if the seeds will sprout. If the seeds have been treated they will not sprout and will not germinate next spring. It would be better for the birds if you planted things like asters, pokeweed, and other flowers for their seeds.

Start watching for lectures on the subject. A lot of the grains mentioned need a space larger than the average backyard to provide more than a handful of food for birds. You will have to harvest the seed because rain and snow will make it drop to the ground rather than staying on the plant. Good for rabbits and mice not so good for non ground feeders. Also will your homeowners assoc allow the plants

Very nice idea, I like to learn what different areas do to provide food for the wildlife.

• sandwhy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mountain C, thanks for the link!

Maifleur, hmm, good point about the rain and snow and varmints... although with our 4 feeders and compost heap in our tiny yard already peacefully co-existing (not to mention the the stupid feral cats keeping an eye over the neighborhood, and hopefully the mice population) I don't think additional pests will be much of an issue.

I don't really mind about the seed dropping to the ground, though. I'm hoping to time the "harvest" of the seed with fall migration here, to supplement what I already have in my feeders... letting the migrants do the harvesting and clean-up of the stuff that's growing. We really don't have a huge yard so I'm sure things will be stripped bare by the local birds if not by the migrants!

I would also like to purchase the seeds separately so I have control over exactly what I'm growing - and make it at least somewhat pleasing to the eye for my neighbors, not to mention my husband! LOL!

Thanks again for your input!

Sandy

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor