Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep mice out of deck boxes?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 19:44

We don't have a garage or much of a basement. But we have about 4 deck boxes for storage. And all of them get mice in them. :(
Even if there's nothing for them to make a nest out of, they will import stuff. There's really no good way to seal these deck boxes. I read that dryer sheets repel them, so I got some of those. I find that smell sort of sickening too! ......but in a different way than mouse pee.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
P.S. I don't want to kill them.....just convince them to live elsewhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep mice out of deck boxes?

What are they made out of? I use metal cans to store my bird seed and dog food. The mice can't/don't get in those. If they are wood, could you put a metal edge around the bottom and a little way up the sides? I'm thinking maybe even aluminum foil might confound them. I know they won't chew through steel wool b/c I stopped a hole with that once and ended the problem of them getting into the house. Seems aluminum would prevent them from chewing their way into your boxes. Just a thought.

o

Hi cyn,
All the deck boxes are made out of plastic of some type (Rubbermaid). They are made in sections, so the mice are getting in through those little openings. Also, the lids get a bit warped over the years and there are spaces. They're pretty hard to outsmart.

o

I think you could try stuffing steel wool in the openings. I know the mice won't chew through that. Metal seems to be the only thing that keeps those little pests out! Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here