Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Majorly aggressive squirrels

paulsiu
14 years ago

There's a lot of squirrels in my area. They are one of the reason why I keep the bird feeder far end of the yard. I don't want them hanging around the house. I definitely do not want to feed them by hand and have them associate me with food. I also try to keep food from visible view of the window. In the past, some have tried to chew through the screen.

Since I hang out by the patio window a lot, I am beginning to recognize the different individuals. There's one squirrel who's reddish, one who's black, and a couple of gray ones. Most of the walk by the patio and stare into the window for a while.

Some of them will oddly get closer if they see me by the window. I suspect that someone's been feeding them. Today, one squirrel (appears to be a new one) saw me and jump on the screen of the patio door toward me. Now that's annoying. I am thinking spraying him with water next time or use a air horn.

Paul

Comments (4)

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

Wow, that does not sound like fun at all! Hanging on your bird feeder is one thing, jumping on your window is another thing entirely!

I think you are absolutely right to want to scare these guys off, whether with an air horn or hose, whatever. You need to "take back" your house. The squirrels shouldn't feel so comfortable going up to your window or, certainly, jumping at you on the screen. If this is squirrel friendliness, that's too bad for them, because it will just get them into trouble. And there is always the possibility that a squirrel could have rabies. I'd say their boundary lines are way out of whack, and somehow they need to be "reset."

We have a dog who loves to chase squirrels, and I let her (but only when I know she won't catch them, much as I know she'd love to). The squirrels were pretty nervy until I let Nevie run after them, now they pretty much leave our deck (and bird feeders) alone. It took a summer for that to happen.

The air horn or hose might help you set the boundaries if it is done frequently. You might also want to speak with the neighbors to see if they are having a problem (and you might find out through conversation that one of them is indeed feeding the squirrels).

I don't know how effective the owl figures are that people buy for their gardens - but you might ask around, it might be worth trying.

If all else fails, call the local wildlife office or animal control officer and explain your situation. They can probably give you some advice. Also, if there have been any cases of rabies recently they will know.

Even if you take measures to get these squirrels out of your home area, you will occasionally have a squirrel come over to see what's happening. They are resourceful and stubborn little creatures!

Good luck with this.

• woodlandgal
    14 years ago

When I baffled my birdfeeding station all the squirrels got was what seeds fell to the ground.

I started giving them some BOSS in their own area and that is where they go to eat. Sometimes I throw peanuts out there or kernels of corn too.

At one time I fed peanuts on the patio, but then they climbed the screen. They quit as soon as they found out their feeding area was farther away.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Any time you feed birds you too will be feeding squirrels so just asking your neighbor about feeding the wee beasties may get you a strange look. Better to ask if anyone has been hand feeding them.

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

A cat will handle them well enough haha.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner