Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birdseed and mice

Posted by petpalikali WI-4 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 22:14

Is there some kind of seed that mice don't like? I know, they probably eat anything- but I can't have them carrying sunflower seed into the basement anymore. Having the mice alone is problem enough. Please help. I am barely feeding the birds right now, and miss them. Any suggestions? Thanks, Deborah.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birdseed and mice

• Posted by txspice 8a Hill Country Tx (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 9:03

You can try mixing cayenne pepper with the seed to repel the mice but it might affect the birds by getting the pepper dust in their eyes.

I better idea is to install a seed catcher below the feeder so that seeds don't fall. Make sure to rake up any that do hit the ground.

Are you storing the seed in a metal container to keep out the mice?

o
RE: Birdseed and mice

Wild Birds Unlimited sells a package mix of cayenne pepper and who knows what all else. Many people use straight cayenne pepper. It doesn't hurt the birds or get into their eyes at all. It repels squirrels and coons from my understanding. So it might work on mice. You have nothing to lose at this point!

The best thing would be to find where the mice are getting in at and plug those holes. A metal container is good too, but plug up those holes! ☺

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here