Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caavonldy

White fawn

caavonldy
16 years ago

We saw a doe with a white albino fawn in our yard. We had heard from neighbors that there was one in our area. Is this really rare? It is so cute, it looked like a lamb at first, until I saw that it was with other deer. I guess the hunters will want it for it's skin. If it lives, it should be a beautiful animale.

Comments (15)

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

I saw a white fawn on a friend's property several years back. Unfortunately, it didn't survive the winter. The coyote's got it. My friend says that she saw one before that suffered a similar fate because the brown markings spots serve as a camoflage and the white stands out like a sore thumb against dark fallen leaves.

But one can hope right? Try to get a picture! :)

• dirtgirl
    16 years ago

rules and regulations vary from state to state, but it's only protected by law if it's a true albino. If there is so much as a trace of coloration on it, it's a "legal" deer.
    Course I always wondered WHY anybody would want to kill something that special but hey, they killed the piebald deer we had in our area, and we had two or three of them.
    And left the carcasses to rot.

Sucks the joy right out of your monday, doesn't it....

• caavonldy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From what I hear, Albinos show up in the local herds every once in a while. They are true albinos as they are sometimes found staggering around one of the creeks after going blind at the age of 3 or 4. The pink eyes don't protect them from the UV rays. When the local ranchers find a blind one, they shoot it to put it out of it's misery. It's not legal, but humane.

• zebz
    16 years ago

My sister had a piebald fawn in her yard last year. It had the white only on the rump, more like an appaloosa. I tried several times to get a picture of it, but, naturally, it was only around when I didn't have my camera ready.

Here's a site with a pictures of both an albino and a piebald.

www.kerrlake.com/deer/albino.html

• lovefornature
    16 years ago

A white deer lives about 7 miles from my home. She was born earlier this year. I have a picture of her that someone else took, her name is Abby. It is reported that her father is white also. I know where she is usually located at.

It is been put out here where I live that if ANYONE shoots this deer there will be significant jail time, so protected here.

She is a true albino. I have intentions on trying to locate her so I can see her in person and get some pics of my own. Never seen one in person and would mean a lot to me.

It is so very sad that they do not have camaflouge and about the UV rays :( I really do hope that she lives a long healthy life.

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

dirtgirl, that is truly heartbreaking.

• socks
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a thread on the Kitchen Table Forum about an albino fawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: albino fawn

• caavonldy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have an albino fawn in our neighborhood. It was seen for the first time by a neighbor who took a photo at a distance. We saw it and it's mother with a small herd of deer crossing our yard late one evening(too faw away and too dark to take a photo). We saw it again last week while coming home from church. It waws with that same herd of deer grazing in a neighbor's olive orchard. They spend their days in the olive grove to the north of us and their night in an orange grove a few houses to the south of us. Sometimes they cut across our yard and sometimes they follow a creek from one place to the other. We are so glad every time we see it. Everyone is worried about it getting killed. Now that it is getting bigger, we feel a bit better. We sure hope it turns out to be a doe as it will be quite the target for hunters.

• caavonldy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update on the white fawn. It is getting bigger all the time. We still see it in the neighbor's olive grove every once in a while. I sure hope it is female, if so, she would probably stay in the same herd and stay in our neighborhood. I wish I could get a photo, but she is always off at a distance. Anyway, it is good to know it is doing OK. Donna in N. CA

• petpalikali
    16 years ago

I live in Wisconsin, and apparently we have two separate groups of Albino deer living here miles apart from eachother. I was watching Public TV, and some guy had just published a book on them. The local people feed them, and watch out for them. It was a huge surprise to me, having lived here for over 40 years. I guess they were sort of a secret, until this book.

• sirmac
    16 years ago

No experienced hunter would take down a albino deer because they are so rare. Wild animals are the numberone threat to fawns (especially if they are albino). A full size mountain lion kills a deer a week. Wolves kill more. Despite their size, coyotes group together like wolves and can take down a fullsize deer. Wild animals prefer fawns since they are easier to get. Most hunters prefer old deer. When one is looking out for the well being of a deer (particularly young deer), take into account that wild animals, pound for pound, kill a lot more deer then hunters. Unless you are a vegetarian, you should not condemn hunting unless the hunters you're condemning happen to be foolish poachers.

-mac

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

In Missouri we have an over population of deer. The conservation department wants hunters to take does. Each doe normally has two fawns so each year the number of deer have increased.

As sad as it seems to hunt does this does seem to have had an effect. Last year on several of the main highways near by you could not drive 50 ft without seeing a body. This year you could go a mile or so with out seeing any.

There have been several odd colored deer talked about in the paper and magazines. Every time someone goes and kills them because they want to brag about killing "something different"

It is best not to announce where the deer are at and keep watch on them during hunting season. One group went as far as having a person stationed with the deer. The rare animal deer, squirrel, etc. sometimes has other genetic defects which may shorten their lives.

• aleksandras
    16 years ago

"No experienced hunter would take down a albino deer because they are so rare"

What I have read, they prefer to shoot a white deer, and they are very proud of it! http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/weirdwhitetails/ww_aa022003/

• sirmac
    16 years ago

~Challenger (aleksandras) approaches~

~challenger looks for article of hunter killing albino deer~
    ~challenger ignoring that the deer is not a true albino and the hunter is not really experienced because that hunter makes a lot of bad shots as quoted "since the opener I'd missed at least 11"-

I sense fail...

• dsnowlover_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just saw a white fawn in my yard with its mom..I have a lot of property how can I protect her?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner