Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zwanagogo

possum! possum!

zwanagogo
19 years ago

sorry to start a new thread but im so excited. its 12:30 am and im still watching that doe. well my husband disobeyed me and threw bread at her, well she got scrared and took off like the dickens. i yelled at him and made sure he will never do it again.

i looked out again to see if maybe she was back and then there he was an adorable possum!! he was eating the bread that my husband threw at the deer just minutes ago. how did he find it so fast lol. i watched him for a few minutes but then a car came by and he got scared and trotted away. this is so wonderful. rabbits, deer now possum! ive only been here a few months i wonder what else lurks in this area. i dont want to go to bed lol im afraid i might miss something.

Comments (20)

• Jenney
    19 years ago

Guess what? There was dirt in the cat's water dish in the kitchen again. Remember I said the cat is never in the kitchen at night? Guess who? Baby racoon, that's who! I was so worried that he got hit by a car because the other night I saw an animal lying by the median near the middle of the road so I went back to see if i could save it...it was a baby racoon and there was a trickle of blood leaking from the head. It was too late. So i've been worried it was the one that was here. my hopes are up that baby racoonie is still with us. He is so cute. I spoke to someone who raised one as a pet and he was a great pet for 2 years, but then got kind of mean and they couldn't keep him anymore. They used to take him with them just about everywhere. Night before last put out a piece of coconut cake on a plate...maybe he ate it...someone did. And was looking for more? Sorry environmentalists if that offends you.

• zwanagogo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OMG! you had a baby racoon in your kitchen? how did he get in? doggy door? that sounds so cute. i heard that about wild animals that they are good with people when young but then change when they reach breeding age. wonder if neutering would help. i saw on animal planet a few weeks ago this lady who breeds domestic skunks. i never thought of a skunk as a pet but they looked so lovable with this woman. kinda like a ferret lol (same family) but shows like that make people go out and buy one. after watching i looked on the internet and sure enough there were several breeders willing to ship baby skunks (descented and altered)
    if i had no children and no other pets it might work but not with my life now thats for sure. seems like they cant really be caged and your whole house has to be skunk proofed. more trouble than its worth. but one day when i retire and have the time and devotion i may look into

• Jenney
    19 years ago

The baby racoon got in through the cat doors. We were surprised that he found the one on the kitchen door! When he gets bigger he probably won't fit through them. Check out this link below (I love the picture the possum rehabber posted):

Here is a link that might be useful: I have a possum

• zwanagogo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

oh hes so cute. what board was that on? i think possums are adorable. their tails are icky but they are so oddly cute.
    i am going to wait on the front porch tonight to see if he comes out again. if i stand there real still i have a feeling i will see plenty of wildlife. i need chairs lol. were only here about 3 months now and havent gotten around to porch furniture yet.
    i hope your kitchen is blocked off from the rest of the house. you dont want to roll over in bed and hug a racoon by accident lol.

• lycopus
    19 years ago

I am an environmentalist and I don't really care if you feed raccoons, although I would advise against making it a regular practice. In my personal experience you are better off not feeding them at all.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Ooh, I'd be real careful about letting that baby raccoon in through the cat doors. He will be able to fit when he's older, they are amazing contortionists. He may also decide to defend 'his' turf, and a racoon could definitely kill a cat. Also, he isn't going to be housebroken- ever, he will expand his search for food, and coons are known mischief makers. I've heard of stories where homes suffered quite extensive damage at the hands of a racoon getting in through pet doors. IMHO, best to watch the wildlife from a distance.

Perhaps a desire to interact closely with wild animals would be satisfied by helping out at a wildlife rescue society. Furry Critter Fan is involved in one in our area in Wisconsin. She may have some ideas about how to find out about local rescues in your area.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

THats a good idea can't stop gardening. Also be aware of the potential rabies risk.

• Jenney
    19 years ago

That possum picture I was referring to wasn't posted by the possum rehabber (my mistake). Click on the I have a possum link above and scroll down to Eclectic Gardener's link. It was posted in the Wildlife Garden Forum.

Thank you for the feedback on the racoon. Everytime I have seen them outside at night I got scared and ran inside just in case they had rabies. I even ran from the baby. It's nice to think of a tame little baby racoon and like I said I met someone who it worked out great with for a couple of years. Was just like having a dog but cuter. Don't want to take a chance on racoon wreaking havoc in the house when bigger...nor do I want to risk Mr. Grey's welfare (the cat).

Lycopus, I'd be interested in reading about your experience with racoons if you'd care to share it.

Volunteering is a good idea.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Jenney, I agree, raccoons are very cute, especially the babies. We had a young raccoon nesting in our yews outside our living room window one day. It was a treat to watch him sleeping. But we didn't let the dogs out in the 'potty yard' next to that shrub until the coon was gone. We didn't want our two doggies tangling with a raccoon.

• lycopus
    19 years ago

I lived near a body of water for several years and there were always raccoons. Normally raccoons are present in small numbers around ponds and streams and are usually inconspicuous. When you feed them it causes them to overpopulate and take up residence near your home. We had them under our deck, under a platform near the water, in a pipe and under a shed. The solution was simply to block off those spaces when the raccoons weren't in there. By removing sources of food and eliminating small spaces, they did not hang around all the time and behaved more naturally. When people feed them and try to tame them, it encourages them to come out during the day and stay in the same place all the time. Allowing them to get into garbage has the same effect. They tend to fight all the time when attracted to the same small spaces. This kind of intimate contact is probably partly responsible for the spread of rabies.

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

Possums are cute but as Lycopus points out, they can become a nuisance. Hey, they just wanna be someone's pet but they rarely carry rabies...feed me!!!

But possums have a naturally high level of immunity to diseases. They are more resistant to rabies than any other mammal but they can bite if provoked.

• Jenney
    19 years ago

I read that possums catch roaches and here in Florida we have plenty of those!

• summer40
    19 years ago

to all those talking about possums and how cute, etc. especially those who are referring to their bird feeders. Possums carry a very deadly disease to the birds. please read this article on the link between possums and birds!!!

http://www.tcaviary.com/misc/possums.htm

• lycopus
    19 years ago

This disease should not be a problem for birds that normally visit feeders. Sarcocystosis is primarily of concern to people keeping Old World parrots in outdoor aviaries. New World birds have evolved with the parasite and are not threatened by it. Notice that the article suggests controlling insects in the aviary as the primary means of preventing the disease.

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

I've recently had opossum and racoons climb the stairs to my upper deck to eat bird food. I am NOT pleased. Perhaps
    its due to my advanced age (61) or my many years of living in the Wisconsin north woods; but I have to say that there is little that is cute or adorable or whatever current hollywood adjective is 'au current' to describe wildlife.
    These critters arent around to give 'feel good' thrills to us urban dwellers. Wild critters dont belong on my deck. Now I must quit feeding birds in order to discourage them.

Feeding or encouraging wildlife into ones yard may someday become a criminal offense.

I just cringe when someone calls an opossum 'cute'. and wants them in their yard.

We all need to get real and to think of the long picture for these (should be) wild creatures.
    Pondy

• Elaine_NJ6
    19 years ago

Pondy, you don't consider the birds in the category of wild creatures? Or you do, but you think it's OK to feed them anyway because you like them?

I don't believe in supplemental feeding of anything at all, but I can't understand where you draw the distinction.

• Jenney
    19 years ago

From possumrehabber: "being a gardening forum, i understand the concerns of wildlife/strays destroy lawn and gardens. i want to assure you that the opossum is not only a non-threatening creature, but most beneficial. without the opossum, we would be overrun by bugs, rodents, disease caused by many creatures that litter our roads. these little wonders have earned the name of "little sanitation workers". unlike skunk, raccoon, etc- they don't dig up your yard and garden. they dont raid your veggies like the cottontails. actually they prefer the rotten fruits/veggies that drop to the ground drawing the harmful insects you work hard to prevent. they eat and are immune to black widow, brown recluses, rattlesnakes, etc. they are non-aggressive; the nasty display you witness is mostly bluff and their only line of defense (along w/ playing possum). this is not to say that if you approached one and stuck your hand in his face that he wouldn't bite; he probably would, but i'm guessing you would too. these animals are not destructive to property, pets, etc. THEY HAVE FAR LESS disease than other wildlife (including birds), and or stray unvaccinated cats/dogs (both of which cause more injuries/illness).they do not contract distemper, parvo,and rabies is EXTREMELY rare. dispite popular belief; they are very clean, are not stupid (i myself have found them smarter than dogs in many areas)."

Here is a link that might be useful: Posted by: possumrehabber AL (My Page) on Wed, May 12, 04 at 8:49

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

Elaine, didnt mean to mislead. I do feed all kinds of wild critters; in fact I am a certified wildlife habitat provider. I live on a pond, have many, many types of shrubs and trees that provide food. Also leave stands of milkweed, grasses, etc for birds, but I do supplement the birds feed with extra sunflower seeds.
    My point (and I know I sound like an old curmudgeon) is that I dislike those who feed wildlife for the photo ops.
    Thats pretty awful of me to think my motives are more pure or something. I see that now, and apologize to all.
    Pondy

• skippy05
    19 years ago

I feed the wild life because they are there, not as photo ops. I have bird seed for the birds & peanuts for the squirrels.
    I also feed the stray cats because so many people are just to mean & stupid & get these kittens & do not get them fixed then throw them out when they get bigger.
    I have rescued more cats than I can even remember.
    I leave cat food out on our back porch for the kitties & that is how I ended up with Pete the possum!!

Pete has been coming around since September & I just love him! I live in the city & just couldn't believe it when I saw a possum! (hey, I get excited when I see a squirrel!)

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

I think this forum has a gazillion possum threads!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner