Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange night call from some bird I never heard

Posted by hobbiest East TN (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 1:04

I heard some bird tonight I have never heard before in all of my life. I live in north Knox county TN. The bird made 4 notes every time it "spoke". Was late. Around midnight. The 4 notes it made would each rise in a pitch. Whatever it was, flew very fast on the last call it made. I am sure it was calling something as it flew off in the distance. Wasn`t a screech sound but more like a mellow tone not high in pitch. Weird. May have been calling for a mate or hunting. Wasn`t sure. Anyone have any ideas what it may have been? What flies at night around here and "speaks" while doing so?? I have heard a few owls in the past but this thing was no owl. Not any I have heard anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange night call from some bird I never heard

Have you heard it again Hobbiest? If you search for "night bird" in this forum, a couple of the threads have links to websites with recorded bird sounds. Maybe that will help.
Or maybe you have a mockingbird that has learned to immitate a doorbell or cellphone or something. I've read that they'll do that. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: past threads with night bird

o

I haven`t heard it since. The mellow tones it made were similar to a middle "C" started note. Kinda sounded like it was played on a flute. Does a mockingbird sing at night? I haven`t heard any do that and we have a bunch here in the neighborhood. After the sun goes down, it gets completely quiet here as far as ANY bird singing, unless it is a hoot owl...and that is rare when I hear them. It was also loud and far off ( 200 yards or so ) I am guessing it must have been a large bird making the sounds. I heard it well from where I was at.

I will check out your link about night birds. I really appreciate the help! :) This one has me tweaked.

Thank you!
:)

o

Nighthawk?

You can find birds and their calls at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: all about birds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here