Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terrible smell around the yard

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 1:14

Recently I notice that the yard smells pretty bad, particularly the bushes near the front porch. Smells kind of like some animal has been peeing or marking their territory. It seems to only happen at night.

Possible night suspects:

Cat
Opposums
Raccoons
Skunk

Now it could be someone doing it early in the morning before I wake. With daylight savings, it's dark out when I wake up, but here are the following animals I see in the daytime

Coyote
Neighbor's dog
Squirrels

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terrible smell around the yard

Deer mark their territory, it kinda smells like horse urine.

Sandy

o

As silly as it sounds you may be smelling the bushes now that many competing smells are gone. We have yews and at certain times of the year they may smell like soap to a stomach turning scent. Boxwood's are also known for scents.

It probably is one or more things marking their territory but you might want to break off a stem with a leaf and smell each separately.

o

Boxwood smells (to me) like tomcat spray.

o

If it is not the bushes themselves, I would suspect cat, since it is near the front door.

That seems to be a favorite place for stray cats to spray. You're lucky they haven't come up onto the front porch and actually sprayed on the door.

Unfortunately, cat spray odor sticks around. Then, of course, as soon as one cat sprays, the rest will come in and spray, and keep repeating.

o

Don't rule out natural gas. It can have a very different scent after permeating through the soil than it does in the home. Any gas lines nearby?

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here