Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird bath heaters

Posted by lizziem62 z4 Ont. (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 10:52

is there a certain type of birdbath to use a heater in? this will be the first time we have used one and i am actually scared i will hurt the birds somehow. but i have been reading how beneficial they are. and in our area everything freezes solid for a couple of months. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird bath heaters

I have a heated birdbath, the birdbath it'self is heated, not a devise I put in the bath. I have had it about 5 years and it works great. Mine has a thermostat in it so it will shut off if it is not freezing (but like you we stay pretty frozen for months. Mine is a deck mount right outside our living room window. It is the highlight of winter birdwatching and so needed by the birds. Mine was about $80.00. I just looked at Amizon.com under "heated birdbath" and saw a "tilt to clean" similar to mine for under $40.00

o

I've had a heated birdbath for several years. It's a plastic saucer-shaped bath with a heating coil inside the base. You simply plug this into a standard electrical outlet (with an extension cord).The saucer came with its own metal stand. I can't remember the cost, but I would not have spent more than about $50. Mine still works great and the birds love it. Hope this is helpful.

Martha

o

I use a separate bird bath heater in a 2" deep plastic plant saucer that sets in a ring on my deck. Just be sure to plug whatever you use into a GFCI outlet. That way, if there's a short, neither the birds nor you will get zapped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here