Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbn_gw

Bear attacked Hunter than died!

sarahbn
18 years ago

I heard this on the news yesterday. Than I heard it on the radio again today. So I looked it up and got the Pa game report I say that because I posted some information a couple of weeks ago on the native plants forum from the"Philadelphia Inquirrer" And got in alot of trouble because it was copyrighted so this is from pa game commision

HUNTER INJURED ATTEMPTING TO RECOVER BLACK BEAR

A Cumberland County man was injured by a more than 320-pound black bear he had shot and was trying to recover on the first day of bear season, Nov. 21.

Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, of Newville, was swiped by the injured bear and bitten twice during the encounter, which occurred in Huntingdon County's Todd Township in the Rothrock State Forest near Cassville at 7:30 a.m. Monday. The bear, which had been shot four times, died at Beauchamp's feet shortly after he had been bitten the second time. The hunter was taken to the J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital in Huntingdon, where he was treated and released.

Beauchamp had shot the bear three times with a .444 Marlin high-powered rifle during a drive. While attempting to recover the animal, the hunter approached to within 15 feet and shot the animal again in the chest.

"The bear came alive," Beauchamp explained. "When he came to his feet, I turned to back off, but he covered the distance between us and wrapped his paw around my hip and clawed me."

After grabbing Beauchamp, the bear bit him in the right front thigh, and then the left inner thigh. Each time, Beauchamp managed to shake off the bear. After the second bite, the bear died.

Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist, noted that incidents such as Beauchamp's are exceptionally rare, and generally can be avoided if hunters keep their distance from a downed bear while monitoring and determining its status.

"This is the first incident in Pennsylvania that the Game Commission is aware of where a hunter was attacked by a bear he was trying to recover," Ternent said. "Any downed game must be approached with caution. Hunters should stay back and monitor whether the bear is moving, or breathing with the aid of binoculars or the scope on their rifle, before closing in to recover the bear."

I posted this here because I guess I was kind of sorry that the bear died . Then again I've never seen a bear in the wild that I know of. Sarah

Comments (12)

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

It'a interesting to note the game commission considers this an "attack." Too bad a human was injured, but he was hardly attacked.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

I think the hunter deserved what he got, frankly. If you have to go hunting, making sure that whatever you shoot dies a clean death should be an important part of your hunting ethics. But don't get me started on people who hunt for anything other than subsistence...bear hunters, who are allowed to bait animals in, rank especially low on my list.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am not fond of pennsylvania hunters I think they are nutty! I think the wrong animal died personally (I know I said to much) Sarah

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

I have to come clean...my first reaction was "good for that bear!" Then I realized that I don't REALLY want to see people get gored, chewed or clawed by anything, even though it may be a case like this where the person was the one dealing out the initial injury. But what do you expect any animal to do when you are attempting to kill it?? Kinda like the fact that quite a few rattlesnake bites occur when someone is trying to KILL THEM.
    I agree with Jillmcm in that certain kinds of hunting really seem pointless. Cougar hunting and bear hunting come to mind immediately.
    Although I know years ago we had a certain neighbor who went bear hunting somewhere up north every year, and the years he was successful he had a huge barbecue. Of course the years he didn't get his bear he would have to cook a goat instead, but at least he planned to eat 'his' bear nonetheless. And no, I never went--heard either meat is really realy greasy.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

dirtgirl, I'm unfortunatly a city old lady. I knew of one person who had a bear come onto their farm to eat something several days in a row. He was fearful. I've never seen a bear in person outside of a zoo. I'm sure if I did I would be more fearful. Maybe I just like to root for the underdog who knows no offence intented thanks Sarah

• Nancy_Ind_is_now_Ill
    18 years ago

Add another vote for the bear. Maybe that hunter will reconsider killing just for fun and bragging rights!

• vonyon
    18 years ago

The bad thing about things like this is that people immediately fear bears. Of course, bears are formidable creatures, but if something is trying to kill you, you will certainly go after it.

I really want someone to write a children's book about the importance of predators to an ecosystem so we can start to educate kids about the reality. Hopefully then, they will respect rather than fear big predators.

• huachuma
    18 years ago

About 20 years back, an inebriated hunter in the Phoenix area was stalking the elusive and dangerous Saguaro cactus. He got a good shot at the mid-section of one of these creatures with a 20 guage from a few dozen feet away. The prey's mid section was so weakened that the beast toppled onto the man's Jeep, killing him instantly.

Even though this was an obvious tragedy for the hunter, I had to root for the cactus in this instance...

Mike

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

Only recently a bear was sighted locally. I suspect the game people of secretly introducing them after they have become too common up North. I favor regulated hunting, as bear and people are on a collision course like deer and people. A few bear are interesting but as they move into suburbia the conflicts increase exponentially. There were almost none in New Jersey for many years.
    Thought I should mention that even the deer are dangerous during mating season and have attacked people. Another thing that happens is people put 'road kill' deer in the back seat of the car, and the animal regains consciousness. Quite dangerous and destructive.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike that's a riot! I love it!

Vonyon aren't there any books? I've seen some great books at Bowman's wildflower preserve and Tylers arbortum I will have too look.

Bogturtle They need to ship the deer up to the rural game lands in upstate Pennsylvania because they are so abundant and destructive around here. Do bear eat deer? I think vultures eat the road kill. Not sure Do eagles? One thing that I never recall hearing about is coyotes. I always thought they were a western animal and wolves and foxes and even mountain lions were from this area. But ever since about 10 years ago they've been popping up in New York city, Delaware and I think Cape May county too. They might be around here too I think they eat road kill. not sure though.

• frankie46
    18 years ago

well to all of you, cougars and bears sure like to eat young deer and elk and they are getting very populated out here i can't even go for a walk in the mountains without a side arm and watching my back for m.l.since they stopped hunting with dogs they really are having alot of people complaining about cougars getting there livestock and pets. next its the kids pretty soon the cars will get them, because we can't control them the way we did before .i still would reather see deer and elk than mountain lions just my opinion.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would much prefer to see bears and mountain lions and bobcats. Only because they used to live here. But deer have taken over. everywhere around here.