Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

need help with a strange new plant in the woods...

dirtgirl
17 years ago

Just noticed it for the first time about four days ago, and I am not having much luck finding it in my books. Unfortunately none of my books have a picture of what the mature fruiting bodies of the listings look like, and that's the one feature that really jumps out at you.

Here's the description and I will try to supplement this with a pic if I can get back down there soon enough with the digital cam.

Single sturdy stem, about waist high, stem round and not squared as in mint family.

Leaves are fairly large, guessing about 5 inches long, and roughly a broader lance shape, almost like a big shingle oak leaf. Can't recall how they are grouped around the stem, but they seemed to be in fours, one in each cardinal direction from the stem. Don't recall any serrations, or else they are fine if present.

Here's the big feature that caught my eye...directly beneath each cluster of leaves is a grouping of fruits that no kidding, look just like four miniature oranges, also one in each cardinal direction from the stem. I plucked one and they really do remind me of an orange, or even an unripe persimmon. About the size of a small brussels sprout or larger marble, shiny bright orange, smooth, and have the tiny leafy green end of the old flower protruding from them.

The first plant I noticed was a single one by itself, but as I walked back up the hill I spotted a few others , these in clusters of about 5 or 6 plants. The stems all seem to be upright, single and non-branching.

This is a location that just got raped-er, I mean clear cut, this spring and is adjacent to my own property. All the plants were in this area and I am guessing that they either thrive in disturbed areas, needed more sunlight than they would have gotten in the woods, or possibly hitched a ride in from somewhere else on machinery tracks.

I guess it would be a good idea to post this on the name that plant forum as well, along with the photo if/when I get one.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County