Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birds not coming to feeder anymore

Posted by eskimobaby87 z8AL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 15:54

I have been feeding birds at my backyard feeders for about five years now. Suddenly, this fall, the birds are not eating out of my main feeder. I emptied the feeder and threw out the seed I had thinking perhaps there was something unappealing in the seed. Then, I replaced the feeder with a new one and I did change my bird seed selection at that point to one that is cheaper for me, but it's the standard Pennington bird feed. They aren't touching it either. I have another feeder with safflower seed, and they eat it, although not too much. I have cats in the neighborhood, and I've heard that when a predator is around (cats, hawks, etc.) birds won't feed. I don't know if that is the problem or not. I live in the warm south, fall is usually a busy time in my backyard, but the seed in my feeder hasn't been touched in at least a week. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birds not coming to feeder anymore

Are you seeing birds go to that feeder and what kind go to the other one? Seems like a silly question but in some areas of the country there has been a lack of birds and those that are here have shifted their food sources. I do not know if the birds died, shifted location to find food, or what. I allow part of my area to grow weedy growth and grasses and in the past the small birds would sit on the seed heads and eat. The seeds are there but only one or two birds and those were after bugs.

o
RE: birds not coming to feeder anymore

Honestly, I haven't watched the feeders--I've just noticed that the level of seed in them hasn't decreased. Normally, I have several cardinals, but I've noticed very few. I'll keep a watch out to see which species are coming to the safflower (none appear to be going to the other feeder). It's very strange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here