Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnordstr_gw

Bird seed bell good for birds?

dnordstr
18 years ago

Hello

I was wondering if the bird seed bell that I purchased is as good for my backyard birds as the black sunflowers.

Thanks to anyone who might have an answer!

Comments (3)

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

My birds liked them but not as much as the squirrels did, I had 4 of them last year and all 4 ended up in a tree or on the ground. The birds didn't have a chance once the squirrels found em.
    Lisa

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

The bells tend to have a lot of junk seeds in them that attract undesirable birds like the non-native house sparrows (or that just plain don't get eaten). They're not a good choice for backyard bird feeding, but your black oil sunflower seeds are.

• dreamweaver_
    18 years ago

I have lots os Squirrels in my yard but ever since I set up two feeding stations for them in two different trees they don't bother my bird feeders. I put a mixture of Song Bird food & Squirrel food in their feeders & also have a couple of the holders that hold an ear of corn. Don't think you could put a lesser quality of food in their feeders & expect them to stay off the bird feeders if something better is offered there. It doesn't seem to take much to keep them happy & full, after all they are on the bird feeders because they are hungry just like the birds.
    I was surprised, they don't eat as much as I thought they did when they were on my bird feeders all the time.

I found this recipe on the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum for making a Birdseed Wreath, plan to make some for Christmas gifts. I'm sure if you have a mold you could make any shape you'd want.
    I plan to use Songbird mix [sunflower seed, shelled peanuts, Safflower seed, dried raisins & dried cherries] in the wreaths I make.

Here's the recipe if anyone is insterested, copied from this thread

Birdseed Wreath

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
    8 cups birdseed

Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
    Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl.
    Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
    Add the boiling water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
    Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
    Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid.
    Spoon the mixture into a greased bundt pan and put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.

Remove the wreath from the mold by inverting the pan and tapping along the bottom. The pan may need to warm to room temperature before the wreath will come out.
    Allow the wreath to dry overnight or longer if necessary.
    (I found it needs to be on a cooling rack to let the air circulate.)
    Use several strands of raffia to form a loop to hang the wreath.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths