Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htown_gw

Wildlife Traffic

htown
18 years ago

The other night I had the most diverse sightings ever for one night in my yard. Every time I walked out in the back yard to shew and chase the armadillo away I say something different. The first time I saw the armadillo and two raccoons. The second time the skunk a large opossum ,and one of the barred owl kids, and the third time three deer! The deer ate about half of a swath of the purlpe foliaged plant.

I have had a small skunk living under my shed alteast since the end of summer; he shares the shed with the armidillo. I have been chasing the armadillo away for while now because he has been digging some stuff up. At first I just watched him. I could stand five feet from it and it wouldn't even run away. I really like the skunk, hopefully saying this doesn't jinx me and I get lit up with perfume del skunk tonight. Lol!

If anyone in the Houston area wants to see some wildlife go to Brazos Bend State Park. This park has abundant wildlife including: alligators, raccoons, armadillos, deer, squirrels, rabbits and tons of waterbirds. And you are gauranteed to see lots of them. I have also seen a wild pig there.

Comments (4)

• naturewatcher
    18 years ago

OK, I live in North Houston too, but I don't have all those critters in my yard. Lucky You!

And, thanks for the tip about Brazos Bend. I haven't been there in probably 20 years. I'll need to take a day trip and enjoy the wildlife.

Thanks,
    Naturewatcher

• htown
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I usually don't have that much traffic. That is the most diverse single evening I have ever witnessed in my yard. I was amazed everytime I went out I saw more critters. I have not seen the deer, skunk, possum, or owl in about a week.

I saw a flying squirrel earlier this evening whenever I got home!!!!! I heard some loud high pitched squeaky chirps and I shined the light up in the water oak, and I saw something wierd sort jump from one main branch to the other. Holy Cow!!! that looked like a flying squirrel. I walked around the tree and shined up there again, and there it was, and it ran around to the other side of the tree. Then it flew or glided across right before my eyes. probably about 15 yards from the water oak to the thickett.

This was by far my best flying squirrell sighting of my life time, and the first in quite some time. Really it was the only good look(actaully a couple good viewings per this one squirrel encounter) ever.

This year the frequency, diversity, and quality of mammal sightings has increased to an all time high for my yard. The snake sightings were not as good this year, and I wonder if the raccoon population may be contributing to this. I stopped feeding the raccoons, I still throw out table scraps though for whatever gets them. It just seems better that to throw it it the trash. If the scraps attract the coons and the overabundance of coons decreases the snake sightings I guess this is another good reason to start a worm bend. Can you put meat leftovers in your worm bend?

• htown
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the flying squirrel is still out there, I can hear it. I wonder how many times I have heard that chirp dismissing it as a bird or squeaking juvenile varment. It sounds sort of like a bat, or some sort of chick. Its been a while since I saw one. All the times before when I saw them. It would just be a swooping from tree to tree in the distance, and I would think to myself did I just see a flying squirell???

• htown
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, everything is back to normal now. Has anyone else experienced anything like that-seeing all of these in one night and then not seeing them anymore. I have never seen anything like it. One night I have a zoo in my backyard, and now it is back to the occasional troop of coons and a solo opposum sightings. I am especially looking forward to how vonyon and Elly NJ see the situation.

arrg elly now it gattin' scaoory.