Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Monarch Waystations Needed!

susanlynne48
17 years ago

Oklahoma is rapidly losing Monarch habitat! Please read the link below to find out how you can help. This is not affecting just Oklahoma, but other cornbelt states as well.

Thank you for taking the time.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahomans Losing Monarch Habitat!

Comments (6)

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Read carefully for "minimum acreage". I wanted to be considered a weigh station as we have grand stageings of monarchs here in my backyard but due to the size of my property I'm not permitted to be an "official" weighstation. Never the less, I would encourage folks who, like me, don't have the minimum acreage, to still plant for the monarchs' migration and lifecycle needs.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Barb, I don't think they're being such sticklers about that anymore. My area is very small. I mean very, very small. However, I qualified, and even if one doesn't want to become a member, it would still be great to plant their host plant and nectar plants. I did for a long time, and finally just applied late this summer.

Have you hand raised any yet? I did for the first time this summer, and it was such a wonderful experience for both my granddaughter and me. We successfully raised and released about 100 Monarchs. There's nothing like a big, beautiful Monarch in the garden.

Susan

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,

That would be nice if they have relaxed their criteria for acreage. It was only this summer that I went to apply and found that our property was much too small to qualify.

No, I've never raised monarchs. I'm not sure I'd be "into it" but rather would just let them do their thing on my butterfly weed if they should show up.

This past fall we were treated to a monarch stageing only feet from our back patio doors. They came by the thousands and slept in the maples for about 5 days before moving on across the lake. It was the first time I'd ever seen such a spectacle and it was quite a treat.

Barb

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Here is the criteria taken directly from the "Monarch Watch" website. I'll highlight the size requirement that prevented me from registering:

MONARCH WAYSTATION CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
    If your monarch habitat site meets or exceeds the general description of a Monarch Waystation set forth below, your site may be certified and registered. Upon certification your site will be included in the International Monarch Waystation Registry, an online listing of Monarch Waystations, and you will be awarded a certificate bearing your name and your sites unique Monarch Waystation ID number. You will also become eligible to purchase a weatherproof Monarch Waystation sign to display at your site, indicating that you have created a habitat for monarch butterflies.

Size. There is no upper limit for the size of a Monarch Waystation, but approximately 15 square yards (135 sq feet) should be considered the minimum area required for an effective Monarch Waystation. A suitable monarch habitat can be easily integrated with an existing garden.

Exposure. Butterflies and butterfly plants need lots of sun; therefore, monarch habitats need to be located in an area that receives at least six hours of sun a day.

Drainage and Soil Type. Milkweeds and nectar plants will do best in relatively light (low-clay) soils. Good drainage is needed to avoid root rot and provide good aeration of the roots.

Shelter and Density of Planting. To assure that the maximum number of monarchs survive in your habitat, the plants should be relatively close together. However, they should not be crowded  be sure to follow the planting guides specific to each plant. Monarch eggs, larvae, pupae, and even adults, can become food for many other species; planting milkweeds and nectar plants close to each other provides more shelter for all life stages.
    Milkweed Plants. To maximize the utilization of your habitat by monarchs, it is desirable to cultivate a number of milkweed species. It is useful to have at least 10 plants of two or more species. However, if you have a large number of shoots (10 or more) of one species, you will have created a monarch habitat. Milkweeds of different species mature and flower at different times during the season. By increasing the number of milkweed species in your habitat you will increase the possibilities that monarchs will utilize your property for a longer period during the breeding season.

Nectar Plants. Monarchs, other butterflies, and numerous pollinators need nectar. By providing nectar sources that bloom sequentially during the season (or continuously) as many butterfly plants do, your Monarch Waystation can provide resources for monarchs throughout the breeding season and the migration in the fall. A Monarch Waystation should contain at least 4 plants (annual or perennial) that provide nectar for butterflies.
    In addition to the above characteristics for a Monarch Waystation, you should also have a plan to sustain the monarch habitat. You can get an idea of what we consider to be sustainable management practices from the questions posed on the application form.

Go to the "Monarch Watch Website" (Barb

• LMH2011
    13 years ago

got certified today as waystation for Monarchs. Very excited to post the sign for the neighborhood kids. Already had 4 caterpillers! Really FUN!

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

I would love to do this, I have lots of room. I am a cretified wildlife habitat. My concern is that I have a pond that attracts so many birds. I also have 5 nestboxes and a number of bird feeders. I have Tree Swallows nest with me every year. They eat on the wing, while I have never seen them bring a Monarch to the nest I have seen them with large moths. We are in National Forest land so there are miles and miles of open fields and mature wooded areas that means LOTS of birds. Would this be the proper habitat?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH