Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird in Hornet's Nest

Posted by Acadiafun none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 18:39

My new house has a hornet nest built under an awning, attached to a window. Last week I checked to see if the cold had killed the hornets yet, and saw a large hole in the massive nest. I also saw little paw prints (raccoon?) on the siding leading up to the nest.

Checked it out again today and a bird flew out of it. Do you think the bird was eating any frozen hornets or has he found a cozy winter home?

I want to knock the nest down, but can wait until spring if necessary. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird in Hornet's Nest

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 22:21

I would sure wait to see what happens. maybe its an old hornets nest that has become a birdhouse. let us know what you find out- i think this is a first for the forum. Min

o

The paw prints might belong to a night squirrel or something really small and also it may be sharing a "compartment" with a bird...I'm dying to know what you've found out so far...I'd keep the nest up until spring.

o

So far I have observed the bird flying into the nest before dusk. He/she must sleep there over night. So I will wait until March to get rid of it. Thanks!

o

Noticed today that there are now skinny little twigs in the hornet nest. I think the bird is reinforcing his/her winter home.

o

LOL- It's really making itself comfortable! Good for him/her!

o

Here is a pic. There are two sparrows currently using the nest. Very cute to watch them. The nest looks like it is starting to deteriorate, hope it lasts until spring for them.You can see the bird holes if you look close.

o

I know this message is older, but wow........what a fantastic nest!

I found one this summer and it looked like yours. But it always had a larger hole in it. I'm assuming it was their main entrance. But after they were gone this fall, I went up to it and saw some fur in there. I'm thinking some mice were in there. haha

Its looking quite ragged now, so I don't think they still live in there......but it was out in the open.
I read up on the bare-faced hornet and it sounds like they all die off in late Fall, except for the queen, who hibernates under leaves or a fallen tree trunk, etc. I think at that time she already has fertilized eggs in her.

So I don't think you'll have any left-over hornets......but you never know. I had a relative who brought one in the house in late Fall and a few hornets flew out of it.
But from what I understand, they don't reuse their old nest, so if you don't mind, you could just leave it up as a birdhouse!

Those hornets' nests are a real work of art.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here