Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Need help identifying this bird

paulsiu
14 years ago

Hi,

This bird has started to appear on my patio. It doesn't go to the bird feeder but feed on the ground. Can someone tell me what this bird is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray Bird

Comments (10)

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure that is a junco. They are so pretty!
    They are ground feeders too I believe.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

I agree a junco. Remember as you are learning about the birds in your area that some are ground feeders or platform feeders so if you have a large amount of snow go out and tramp an area under your bird feeders so they can eat.

Since you are somewhat a newbie at feeding critters start watching the birds and notate what kind of weather causes them to eat more. In this area when a really bad storm is on the way the birds ignore each other for about 36 hours before we git dumped on by heavy snow.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it is a Junco. What's weird is that most of the ground feeding birds hang around the feeder. The Junco stays mostly on the patio.

I have been attracting them by throwing some thistle seeds on the patio. If I thrown sunflower seeds, the squirrel will eat it in 3 sec. They tend not to eat thistle seeds. May be because the seeds are too small.

Paul

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

It may be possible that this junco is more of an insect eater than the rest. Watch to see if it appears to be picking up things between the cracks in patio.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the issue is that the feeder contains black oil sunflower seed, which are too big for Junco, so they don't stay under the feeder like the other birds.

They seemed to like the thistle seeds, but when they get scare, some of the end up hitting the window. I put the seed 3 feet from the windows for now so they can't built up enough velocity to hurt themselves.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Go to target or walmart or other store that has hobby stuff. They have a colored gel decorations that will stick to the window. If you put in an haphazard fashion on window you will hav less birds hit.

Here the juncos eat anything smaller than themselves. They do sometimes follow the chickadee pattern of taking one seed going off and eating then coming back for more. Really funny to watch them try to take apple slices off to eat by themselves.

your bird could also be banned from the flock. It sometimes happens.

• dirtboy58
    14 years ago

junco! I like how you can hear them but not always see them hiding in the bushes.

• awindsong
    14 years ago

It is a Dark Eyed Junco. They are fabulous little birds. Enjoy them.

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

Also, the juncos here love cracked corn.

Of course, so do starlings and house sparrows, etc. so you are taking a chance throwing it out there. I've done that when we have had a bad snowstorm, it all gets eaten.

• kayef
    14 years ago

Junco, Dark eyed for sure. We get them here by the dozens.
    They will eat sunflower, if its not in the shell! Ours like the thistle and crack corn as well. Also they love peanuts, you can throw some of those peanut nuggets that they make for bluebirds.

We have some success leaving seed on the table, and rail of the deck.

I love the sound they make when you get a bunch of them in the trees