Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

When to know it's time

Elly_NJ
13 years ago

This is not a question.

Our pets not just give love, but they are reservoirs for our love. They satisfy our need to love. They let you give of yourself and allow you to be more human for doing so.

When he hasn't purred or visited you in bed, nor allows you to stroke his cheeks so he can push in for more strokes, it's time. When your cat no more gives love, but more importantly, no more allows you to give your love, when he puts up with your attention and just waits for you to go away, when your desperate care for him, the meds, the fluids, becomes torture, it is time.

So it's time for me and James. Tomorrow - Tuesday morning - I have to care for him in the last way I can, and release him from his misery.

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

So sorry, elly. You're doing the right thing. RIP, James...you've been a good boy.

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry elly, these post always make me cry, so know I sat down and cried with you today. James was so lucky to have you to love and be loved.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Elly having to take that final drive is very hard. Having to this several times it never becomes easier but James will be with you and no longer uncomfortable. Sometimes as odd as it may sound I have had cats and dogs in my life that seem to have sent a replacement. It may not be tomorrow or even a year from now but one may come. Some times it is just a fleeting meeting but it will be meaningful.

• dirtgirl
    13 years ago

I haven't dropped by the WG in so long and tonight I idly clicked on it and here's the first thread. My nonchalance just evaporated.
    Oh so hard to read, as your words could have been mine just over a year ago. The pain of having to make that decision was only eclipsed by losing my dad a few months later.
    We tell ourselves that intervention at the end is the right thing, the only thing, to do. We know we are thanking them, one last time, for sharing our lives and for everything they gave us, for bettering us.
    But it takes time to accept this, to really deep down believe it, and to be ok with it.
    Take your time Elly, and thank you for being there for James.

dg

• terrene
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear about your kitty. It sounds like you and James had a deep and loving relationship, and hopefully he had a long full life. I know very well what you have gone through. It is so very hard and sad when it's time for them to go. I hope you are doing okay, and that James had a peaceful passing.

• terryr
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Elly.

• Elly_NJ
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, everyone. Your words help.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

This was heartbreaking to read Elly. I'm so sorry.
    Bless you for having a kind heart.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry that you had to let James go. I know how painful that can be. I'm so glad that you and James found each other and gave each other love all those years.
    The pain will slowly ease and you will be able to think of James and smile, and not feel the pain.
    Keep sharing your love Elly.
    ((((hugs))))

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Elly, it's hard to let go....we had 3 pets so far, one cat and two dogs, we pushed the day's ahead, [for that day] all pets went on their own. Our last pet we just couldn't wait any longer, we had booked for 5 pm and when I came home from work at 4.30 to take her in, she looked at me the last time and took her last breath..all within about 10min.
    I was fortunate that my wife could stay home and care for her, we didn't think that it was this close.

• Cenizo
    13 years ago

I agree with maifleur about the 'replacement'. It's difficult to describe but if it happens you will know it.

Elly, it's to your credit that you made the decision that you did. It's a way of giving back the love you received.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21