Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attracting screech owls

Posted by naturewatcher TX gulf coast (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 21:34

I think I have heard the calls of a screech owl on occasion. I don't think it is a regular resident, but I sure would like to try to keep it around more. I would suppose one way to try to keep it around is to do things to attract mice; however, that is not something I want to do. Does anyone have suggestions on how to attract owls to the garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attracting screech owls

Screech owls are not transient, so if you hear them, they live there. If you have dead trees with holes in it, you already have places for them to roost and nest. If you don't, you can put up nesting boxes for them, but it won't guarantee that the squirrels won't take them over!

If you feed the birds, you are also attracting the small rodents that Screech owls like to eat. Don't use poison on the rodents or insects, so you don't poison up the food chain.

o

Naturewatcher: Are you sure it is a screech owl call? A recent unit on owls in the kindergarten room where I am working has given me a different idea about what the different calls sound like. The website is below that we found and the calls on there might be useful. The surprising find for me was that the barn owl has a screechier call than the schreech owl. I believe I have heard both around here. The most common sound in my woods, however, is the great horned owl which I am very pleased about. Enjoy the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl pages

o

Vonyon, I listened to the recordings of the barn owl and then the screech owl. I'm certain it was not the barn owl. The first time I heard the sound (which was the summer before last) it sounded like the "a" call. I went in immediately and listened to various owl calls to decide if it was an owl and which one. Then, on Halloween (last year), I was outside and I heard sound "B". Around the same time I heard some voices of kids on another street, so I thought it was some kind of recording that they had; however, I heard it again sometime after that and checked out the owl calls again and determined it was the screech owl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here