Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caavonldy

Something tore my lemon tree apart

caavonldy
16 years ago

This morning we saw that our lemon tree, planted in the ground from a 5 gal pot was missing some branches. The branches were torn away from the tree and were left lying on the ground. It didn't look as if anything had eaten the leaves. The trunk looks like it has been girdled as when the branches were torn, some of the bark on the trunk was ripped off. I can't imagine what kind of animal would do this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. I don't want to lose anymore trees.

Donna in N CA

Comments (5)

• ms_minnamouse
    16 years ago

Deer will eat bark. I haven't heard of them mangling the plant though.

• caavonldy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It looks like something just ripped it apart, or maybe drove over it. It is not in an area where a vandle would bother it. All my other fruit trees are fine. Would a raccon have done that? We have lots of wildlife in the area. The only thing that the deer do is to nibble on the new growth.

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

When deer are developing their antlers they must rub against things. I have a cherry tree that deer have pulled the branches off similar to your discription.

• prettyphysicslady
    16 years ago

It does sound like deer. I've had several trees damaged by them myself.

• kelp
    16 years ago

Yep--they thrash saplings with their antlers to remove the velvet, and to polish up the tips. I saw it for myself for the first time this year.