Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

Notice to all from Dirtgirl

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Hey guys...just thought I would let everyone know that our system is down and I have no way to respond to threads or posts, and this includes e-mails.

SO....if somebody should ask a question of me or add something to a thread of mine and get no response, I'm not being churlish and rude, I simply CAN'T respond unless I am here at my parents.

Don't worry....I will be back foruming before you know it!

Comments (17)

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Come on Dirtgirl......you know you ARE just being churlish and rude! By the way, what's churlish mean?? ;)
    Good luck with your puter. We'll be waiting for you.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Cath: Churlish means peasantlike, boorish behavior. (I'm taking the GRE tomorrow!! It is one of my vocab words. :o)

Hope you're back soon DG!

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Thanks vonyon. Then, definitely, Dirtgirl is being churlish! ;)
    Good luck on your GRE!

• viburnumvalley
    18 years ago

Good luck: we'll see you when you get back to being girlish.

Vonyon: good luck with the GRE; I recall that effort from a few decades ago. At risk of allegations of off-topicity, are there other gems on on your study list, like:

Sanguine
    Tumult
    Umbrageous
    Dehiscent
    Yurt

Hinky
    Ambivalent
    Rectitude
    Diurnal

Perspicacious
    Assuage
    Synergy
    Serendipitous

Yaw
    Onomatopoeia
    Urticate
    Reticent

Tenet
    Emetic
    Sphygmomanometer
    Torpid
    !

Ah, words. Scrabble, anyone?

• catherinet
    18 years ago

lol Viburnum......I was going to write a sentence with alot of those words in it, but don't want to get in trouble. Let's just say that I DID use a sphygmomamometer this week to check my BP. I think it was up 'cause I had assuage for breakfast, and you know how salty that can be. hahahahaha

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Catherine: Too funny!! That's about how I learned half the words--that and my ten year old who reads a lot!! Someone must have been looking out for me because I knew most of the words I got the other day. I did fairly well on the verbal. The math was another story, but then that is not entirely surprising. I think my score is adequate enough given that I'm not pursuing a degree in engineering though. (Fingers crossed!)

Ummm VV: glad to see that you retained a lot of them. My brain seems to have turned to mush shortly after taking the test. Maybe they put something on the screen to erase your memory!! Most of those words look familiar though. Doesn't it kill you? How did I get to this point in life speaking this language and never even see some of those words? Since I started studying though, more of them seem to be cropping up, oddly enough.

Excuse me though, the dog is throwing a hinky. I think she needs to go outside and urticate.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I Vonyon,
    I hope your grade turns out good.(or score....whatever they call it these days). I usually remember things the most by making silly associations. Whatever works, right? When I took German, I was doing that all the time. For example "erraten" means "guess" in German. So I remembered it by saying "That was 'a rotten' guess!", with a German accent, and it sounded just like erraten. lol.....I hope your dog's urtication went okay. hahaha

• viburnumvalley
    18 years ago

Apologies to Dirtgirl for the thread-jacking......she'll get back on line and wonder what all the posts were about.

Vonyon:

I was trying to provide "hidden" props to your test-taking effort! With as many words that had at least some relation to plants and animal stuff......and spelled something else.

Sometimes too clever by half. I should stick to plants.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Thanks VV. I did fairly well on the verbal. The quantitative...another story. Well, you can't win 'em all. No real surprises I suppose. Imagine if I hadn't brushed up on the math!

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Oh VV!!! I missed it! Now I see it. How clever of you!
    Vonyon.....did you see the hidden message from VV? Math can be just plain hard......I'm sure you did fine though!

• vonyon
    18 years ago

I saw it and got the subliminal message! Gotta love the forum friends. Hey, VV, don't feel too bad for DG, all her threads are always popular. This is just another example. She'll be thrilled to see all the hits! Right DG?

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I miss her. I hope she visits her parents soon, or gets her computer up and running again. I always love her take on things.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

howdy and salutations!
    Well you can't keep a good person down but you sure as heck can squelch their computer.
    We are on a whole new system, including a keyboard, so everything I type is simply LACED with errors. I guess I will get used to it.
    Now I am really grinning at the tangent my thread has taken! A virtual It Pays To Enrich Your Word Power!!. Unfortunately, here where I live most people get confused and suspicious if they hear a word used which exceeds three syllables in length. Luckily for the majority, main parts of speech here include 'beer', 'guns', and 'truck'. And NASCAR is only one more syllable so nobody gets hurt trying that one on either.
    I do wish my vocabulary was better. I guess I grew up with good influences...mom was a member of MENSA for many years and we were always surrounded by books. I remember when we got a set of the Great Books of the Western World, but my real favorite was the set of Encyclopaedia Britannicas that sat outside my bedroom door. Anything you wanted, if you could spell it, was right there waiting for you. My first magazine subscription was a kid's magazine called Cricket but I really liked National Geographic and Smithsonian the best. Like taking a trip to anywhere in the world.
    Now I wonder and worry about today's kids growing up with so much technology and electronic exchange. Spell check is cheating!! And do they still love to read? I know so many kids in their teens who can't write a complete sentence or use parts of speech correctly and I just hope it is a local problem and not widespread like I fear.
    Sorry...letting myself get a bit too lugubrious.

Good to be back!!

• vonyon
    18 years ago

DG: C'mon, you expect us to buy the old keyboard excuse?!! That is the oldest one in the book!! ;o)

You aren't kidding about kids. I see good and bad with technology, but I tutor grad students and the problem with writing is as bad as you think I'm afraid. I think that the chat speak is part of the problem. They are learning to type, but have a lot of chance to read and reread poor writing/spelling which I believe is one way that we absorb the rules of language.

I loved National Geographic myself!! Also, anything on the PBS stations regardless of how many animals were eaten during the half hour documentary. I just had to write a statement of purpose and had to reflect and describe how my non-traditional education provided me the unique view that I have today. Your post sounds like the same thing. Oh it is interesting how our unique life's experiences combined with influences of people around us and our own curiosity give us a unique perspective on the world. It is an education in itself and we all pursue and absorb it differently.

Loved the description of your locals. Pretty similar here although suburban sprawl is starting to take over and bring the level of vocab up a bit. ;o) Alway stay curious.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

vonyon
    A benefit of sprawl?? ye gods!!

Yup, National Geographic!! If I ever DID get a tattoo, it would have to the Golden Box logo from NG. :) Don't think I'm not serious! Course, when I got older everyone would be asking why I had a yellow trapezoid (or rhombus, depending on the angle of sag) on my arm. I kinda liked Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom too, but even at that tender age I somehow suspected it was hokie. Poor Jim. Always getting stuck with the mucky jobs, wrestling giant snapping turtles and anacondas and such while Marlin sat there comfortably narrating away.
    The other day I was walking past one of those giant TV displays in the store and they had a movie playing. It was "Madagascar", the animated one that just came out. I was not even paying attention really but I suddenly heard a song that snapped my head around. It was the National G. theme song. One of the characters is a lion and it flips out and tries to eat one of its buddies, a zebra. That's all I know of the film but just the fact that the creators were with it enough to add that sound byte makes me think it might have more redemptive qualities.
    Can you get a National Geographic ring tone??
    Just kidding. Maybe.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

DG, Sorry the benefit of improving vocab really doesn't seem to offset the downside of sprawl.

Wild Kingdom!! Forgot about that one. I also felt bad for Jim. How about Wide World of Sports? I realized there were more sports out there than just the big four. I guess there is some benefit to hi-tech as it broadens our world.

Hmmm.........NG ring tones. Interesting thought. ;o)

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I'm feeling rather ignorant right about now. As my mother used to say, when we were talking about ANYTHING around her..."Duh....where does an alien go to register?"
    hahaha
    Dirtgirl......my husband and I bought a set of Encyclopedia Brittanicas about 18 years ago for our kids. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have use for them anymore, with the computer. But there's no way on earth I'm ever getting rid of them. I'm always thinking "what if the economy collapses and there's no computers??"......... We'll be sittin' pretty with all those books!
    Dirtgirl.......You said you were getting lugubrious. I suggest you take some aspirin and vitamin C for that. Hopefully, you'll feel better soon. :)
    Great to have you back!!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm