Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fox squirrels can't jump?

Posted by paulsiu IL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 23:39

There are two species of squirrels living in my backyard: grey squirrel and the fox squirrel. I used think that they were pretty much the same except the fox squirrels were bigger and orange.

I notice gray squirrels often make flying jumps to the feeders while Fox squirrels never seemed to make long jumps. Are fox squirrel simply less agile than gray squirrels?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fox squirrels can't jump?

Not that I have noticed here. Fox squirrels used the be the primary one in this area and I have seen them jump from tree to distant tree branches with no hesitation. Probably the fox squirrels have figured out that the grays will knock enough feed down that they do not have to work.

Our conservation department has printed several articles that the two groups do not interbreed. However we rarely see a pure squirrel of either type. You might start seeing some every interesting combinations. The one I really liked was the longer fox fur on a white bellied fat one.

o
RE: Fox squirrels can't jump?

I see the fox squirrels jump off my feeders when my dog gets let out the back door.

Perhaps their size makes them less agile and less able to make the HUGE jumps like the grey ones, but they still jump pretty far in my yard to get on and off the bird feeder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here