Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Squirrel feeders and Blue Jay

paulsiu
14 years ago

Because of the constant attack by squirrels on the bird feeder, I decided to set up a squirrel feeder 50-60 feet away from the bird feeder. It consists of just a terracotta plate. It does seems to work, as long as you offer food that squirrels want. For example, they are not fond of the squirrel logs. So far, I have been given them some feed grade nuts mix that my in-laws got from the nut factory and cracked corn.

The problem with offering squirrel their own feeder is that squirrels are territorial. There are 5-6 squirrels in this area alone. They end up battling it out at the feeder. Because there are 5-6 squirrels, it's hard to keep all of them occupied. I notice the smaller ones do not go to the squirrel feeder at all. I think the competition is just too fierce.

What's also ironic is that birds starts to come to the squirrel feeder. A blue jay show up too day and started screaming at the squirrel and eventually made off with some peanuts.

The trouble with squirrel is that they will eat until the can't. Is there someway to slow down their feeding? The ideal situation is to get them to hang around their own feeder but limit how much they can eat.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County