Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decolady01

Great Blue Heron

decolady01
17 years ago

Yesterday while I was planting bulbs our resident heron was wandering around the creek and ponds looking for some non-frozen areas to find dinner. They always make me think of what it would have looked like to see a pterydactyl in flight.

Becky

Comments (9)

• ksfarmer
    17 years ago

Good picture. congratulations.

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

Muy hubby went back in the woods last week,behind the woods is a corn field.He said there were like 6 herons he said they were having a meeting...when they saw him they all took off .He said it was awsome seeing all them together,taking off together.
    The meeting was whos pond are they gonna raid.They got all my big koi this spring..

• nywoodsman
    17 years ago

To a heron,a bunch of big fish stuffed into a small pond,is call a dinner plate

• decolady01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah, but we have several ponds, including one that is over an acre in size. I'm glad to have the heron, too.

Becky

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

around here lately with all the rain, it is not uncommon to see them mingling with red-tails, everybody standing around in the mud, going after the crawdads. THere is a certain distance kept, but the focus is on all that food, and "who gets there the firstest with the mostest." Strange somehow, seeing a big hawk like that slopping around in the mud after defenseless little crustaceans. Easy calories, I guess, if you can eat enough of them.

After seeing the tiny little things they call crayfish down south, I think I may have to give it a try myself one of these days. A little Old Bay, some boiling water...mmmm,mmmm.

• ericwi
    17 years ago

In Sweden they have a crayfish season like we have a deer hunting season over here. I guess crayfish are considered a delicacy there.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

If I told anybody here locally I was going to go cook up a mess of "crawdads" they would probably give me a blank stare and take two steps back. Crawdads are mainly used for fishing bait but the further south you go the more you find they are human food as well. I just couldn't get over the big difference in size, although I guess it might be because the ones you find on menus tend to be farm raised. Or, maybe a lot of mass is lost in the cooking process. At any rate, It is not uncommon for me to come across 6-7 inch animals here, even in my yard, and at that size you tend to give the pincers a LOT more respect.

Funny how culture has such a bearing on what is deemed "ok" to eat. I think a lot of possible food sources here in our country are totally overlooked simply because of stigma or taboo, although I admit it would take a bit of warming up on my part to bite into some of the insect selections I have heard about in other countries.

• nywoodsman
    17 years ago

The crayfish from my pond taste exactly like the way you would expect them to taste,like insects.That's too gourmet for me.The big bass seem to like them,though,as I always seem to find them in the stomachs of the larger fish I catch.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Down here in south Texas and over in Louisiana, crawfish are eaten like shrimp, crab and lobsters. It is tender white meat and very sweet. They are really great when boiled up with lots of crab boil and veggies!

Here are a couple pictures of our GBH, Joe, who stands by the back door looking my windows hoping for a handout! He only does this during the cold winter months.

Where's Dinner??
    {{gwi:1350497}}

Joe & his meal bucket!
    {{gwi:1350498}}

Can you see me now?
    {{gwi:1350499}}