Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using sour cream as a suet substitute for birdseed?

Posted by nick_b79 z4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 13:33

I work in a dairy plant, and see a lot of perfectly good product thrown away in the course of daily testing. My boss already lets me take home pounds of yogurt and cottage cheese daily to feed to my flock of chickens (they love dairy), but I haven't found a use for sour cream yet. Since it's so high in fat content, I thought that perhaps it could be used like suet for bird feeding. Now that the temperatures around here are finally dropping below freezing, I was wondering if it would be possible to mix a lot of birdseed with a container of sour cream and solidify it in the shape of a log to hang outside for the winter.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using sour cream as a suet substitute for birdseed?

I am not sure if the bacteria that made it into sour cream would be harmful to the birds. Some brands also have preservatives.

It sounds like a good idea, but I have not heard of it before.

o

Birds don't need dairy products.

I wish I could take it from you!

o

Dairy products can cause serious digestive problems for birds. Never feed any kind of dairy to birds.

o

I am not 100% certain but I believe that commercial chicken feed has whey as an ingrediant. In some countries geese and ducks used to be fattened on soured milk. I would wonder if the OP had noticed any problems with his chickens. Some bird feeding books still suggest feeding scraps of cheese to birds in the winter to provide fat. You have brought up an interesting suject which I will have to check on more fully.

o

Everything I have read suggests there is no harm in feeding birds cultured dairy products. Raw milk, though, could be bad.

So far, no takers at the sour cream/birdseed log, but we are in the middle of a blizzard! I'll watch it for the next week to see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding Chickens Dairy (Forum Discussion)

o

A suggestion for future try to condense the dairy product by putting it in a strainer before mixing. Similar to making yougurt cheese.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here