Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

hornet nest protocol...when is it going to be safe to hang?

dirtgirl
18 years ago

We had a REALLY dry year here, and a few days back I realized that climate-related conditions can have the strangest consequences. There is a creek I frequent that rewards the careful observer with many beautiful fossils and indian relics...unless of course it is a dry year and then the gravel beds are slimed over with algae and silt. We recently had a wonderful flush of rain and a run of warmer days so I decided to see what the fates had left for me in the creek bed. I guess I am very fortunate that it was indeed winter because I was so intently studying the gravel at my feet that I strolled right past a very large hornet's nest that was barely two feet over my head. It wasn't until I had decided to change plans and search a different reach of the stream that I spotted the nest.

It is in perfect condition, (which tells me the deer hunters hadn't been here sighting in their guns) but this would never had been the case if we had had a normal year precipitation-wise. An average summer flood puts at least 8-10 feet of water in that channel so these hornets had been lucky building in such a risky location.

I decided this nest would make a fine Christmas gift for my dad and carefully managed to notch the branch with my knife and then break it off without damage to the nest. I could see many hornets seemingly dead at the entrance but I knew from experience that it ain't always so and that hornets can and do sometimes rise from the dead at the worst possible times...like when your car heater starts to work and you are sitting at a busy intersection. Needless to say, I kept the heater off and the windows down and made the most of the 30 degree weather until I could get it home and safely duct-taped into a garbage bag.

I assumed I would know within a few days how many live hornets were still in the nest, and guessing by the slight icky smell and the appearance of only a few bottle flies in the bag, most of them were indeed killed by the two weeks of single digit and teen weather we had. HOWEVER...after nearly a week of sitting in a 70 degree house, yesterday I heard a deeper buzz than what the flies had made and sure enough, I could just make out a single bald-face through the translucency of the bag. I expected more but they never appeared.

Here's the question: how long should I wait before taking this nest out of the bag, and could there be viable larvae still in there (I'm saying not likely) or was this one lone insect just a hold out who managed to survive the cold?

My mom is not thrilled with 'gifts'like this. Bill Cosby once said that he grew up thinking his name was Dammit and I guess at one time mine could have been Get It Out Of the House. My Dad, on the other hand, could get yet another coffee can with holes punched in the lid for Christmas and act like he'd just been handed the keys to a new Ferrari. I suspect mom will cave in because his health is failing and she knows he deserves some happiness too. It is a gamble. I don't want to tip the balance and ruin my good-daughter status with a sudden flush of hornets in the livingroom.

Comments (9)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hah hah hah...oh, my, you reminded me of my own nickname when I was a kid! :) I think my husband still secretly thinks that about many of my finds (yet he lets me stew intersting skulls in the garage and has even supported the idea of managing a colony of dermestid beetles - what a guy)! I can't help you with this one, dirtgirl - my guess would be that perhaps the best thing to do would be to open it and pump some insecticide into the bag, then seal it up again. I don't think cold temperatures will do it alone. And you're right, why take a chance? Merry Christmas to all (except the wasps, I guess)

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah yes, the things mothers will put up with. Good thing I always had dad as my accomplice. Of course there were distinct advantages to having a nature lover in the house. I will not forget hearing my mother screaming at the top of her lungs for me to come QUICK to the house and thinking something horrible had happened and taking off at a dead run, expecting to find dad having fallen and hit his head or something along those lines. I rushed into the house heaving and panting only to find mom brandishing a broom handle at the washing machine like some crazy-in-the-head samurai. She had come around the corner of the utility room and almost trippped over a 5-foot rat snake in the doorway, which then headed for sanctuary under the washer.
    Guess that might have been the one time that I know of that a snake was loose in our house without me being directly involved, although I certainly had a hand in its leaving.
    And I got a free crash course on washing machine anatomy.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Dirgirl,
    Is that nest something they would have used next year?

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

My mom will never forgive me for the time that Iggy, my school's 5' long iguana that would come home with me over breaks, got loose from his aquarium and decided to take a nighttime stroll. He managed to get downstairs and parked himself behind the toilet - where mom somehow did not notice him until he crawled out onto her feet while she was, um, engaged. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life and mom survived the experience, although I think reinstating corporal punishment crossed her mind.

Catherine, sounds like this nest would be doomed during a normal stream year, so dirtgirl is just hastening the inevitable.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

lol Jill........at least your mom was in a good place, for such a surprise!

• catherinet
    18 years ago

P.S.
    I found one of those nests up in a hickory tree 2 years ago. It was the first one I'd seen in the 23 years here. I was hoping it would fall down whole, but unfortunately, it came apart before it fell. It was such a neat structure.

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

found a site which explains all of this.

answers:
    larvae will not hatch
    the mild odor will go away soon

see the link though -

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bhornets.html

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To me, watching a hornet lay down a fresh stripe of chewed wood pulp rates right up there with spiders doing their web chores every evening and cicadas emerging: it's something that takes an incredibly long time to observe but so totally engrossing that time almost seems suspended.
    I have always found the nests fascinating, despite the fact that they are seldom at an elevation for easy viewing. I have found four very large and complete ones in my life; the others were simply the tattered remains of those that had weathered a hard winter or caught the eye of someone less appreciative of their engineering. Two years ago I noticed a large number of hornets visiting our old wooden pumphouse, a relic of the days before we had city water and a bonanza of good building material. I tried and tried to follow each successive hornet deeper into the woods to find out where they were all headed ( I hear this is an old settler's trick for locating a bee tree)but I eventually lost them. It was not until late that winter when all the leaves were long gone that I found it, high in the top of a spindly tree---elm, I think it was. The wind had whipped the tree tops all around and the nest was slowly being peeled of its layers. Every so often a hike in that direction would turn up another section of nest.
    I wonder if the insects do a good job of repair when it happens ear;y in the year? I will have to check out your link, jillhudock. I suspect there might be some good reading there.

I do know, however, that I did rob some creatures of a possible resource by bringing it inside: I have noticed wrens roosting in the holes of winter nests so they do provide shelter (wouldn't be surprised to find lady bugs and other overwintering creatures tucked in the crevices as well) and I will bet you my best hiking boots that those wrens, as well as woodpeckers and nuthatches and so on would do their best to get at these tasty sleepers when the snows blow and calories are scarce.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

The carolina wrens always peck through the mud daubers nests all over our house. They don't seem to have much to eat here in the winter, so I'm always glad to see them doing that.