Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaderbanger

poopy?

vaderbanger
18 years ago

this past week i noticed weird looking poopy in my platform bird feeder.

it stands about 5ft high on a wooden post. the poopy looked like a cherry, but it was not, it was indeed a poopy.

any idea who it could be? we have deer but no way can they squat up a pole, we have possum, not sure about racoons since water is about a 1/2 mile away.

could it be a big bird? im in pennsylvania so we have alot of critters

theres no way it could be a squirrel its too large.

any help??

Comments (9)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Large red or purple poops are often from birds eating berries. Robin poops can be pretty big.

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yeah??? thanks im hoping this is it. it was purplish and whole like a ball not watery like other birds, does this still sound like robin poop? we have about 100 robins in a tree a day. not sure what they would like in the bird feeder though since i thought they only ate insects?
    i got so paranoid i started thinking its a raccoon and my dogs will get diseased. they are vaccinated but not again leptospino(?)
    anywhere i can find pics of robin poop? lol

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

Don't know what you might have in your yard in the way of fruiting trees, etc., but right now I am being constantly bombarded by hackberry 'poopies'. They look quite a lot like the actual fruit and at times it's almost like it's hailing little brownish red morsels from on high. We have several mature hackberry trees in the yard, one being right over the front steps. THe first to arrive were the waxwings, a fairly large bunch of about 20. It was hard not to notice them with all the trilling calls and the patter of berries (and berry by-product) hitting the ground. That afternoon the same tree hosted a flock of bluebirds, robins and more waxwings all at the same time. Lots of rivalry going on--never realized how dominating a robin could be .
    The trees are loaded this year so there is plenty for all , at least for now. Things will change later on in the winter after the easy stuff is gone. Course, if our temps stay 30 degrees above normal like we are now, that will ease the strain a bit.

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

maybe i can send it off to a lab somewhere lol

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

Believe it or not this subject matter (yes, that's a pun) has come up quite often on here...there are a few places on the web that have blogs or outdoor journals where the person has posted scat pics to help you figure out what is visiting your area. Be careful how you word your search though...be prepared to have to weed through the obvious off-color nastiness.
    Sometimes a fecal sample will be the only clue as to what kind of visitors are coming and going through an area, so it can be a good diagnostic tool!

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i found a site with all scat pictures lol
    its still hard to id. i wish they had pics of possum scat since this seems like the only one missing.
    the crow pellets may also be it. theres always a bluejay on the feeder and i believe they cough up these pellets too.
    this have been clean the past few days...maybe i should take a picture next time?? hmm ew maybe not lol

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

If you have a digital camera and know how to post a pic on here, DO IT. Once everyone has the actual picture to look at I bet we can nail it down pretty quickly.
    Opossum scat can often look a lot like a Hershey's kiss, but like anything else it all depends on what they have been eating.
    You mentioned a purple color...this does rather sound like a bird thing. What are the fruiting trees close to your yard?

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i have a flowering pear but thats in the front of the house. it does drop some pretty big looking purple berries, but the deer have ate them all. maybe a bird carried it to the feeder? that would be odd but maybe not impossible.
    or like the previous poster said about coughing it up, maybe a bird hacked it up?
    it just snowed so everything is covered again. but when i see another unidentified poopy ill take a pic lol
    off subject but whats with all these pop up ads?

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

Know what you mean...I especially hate the Macromedia thing that simply WILL NOT GO AWAY.
    And this is with a pop-up blocker.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner