Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejollyswagman

A True Xmas Story

thejollyswagman
16 years ago

Once upon a time ( like about 3 months ago) In a land far far away (Like Queensland Australia) There lived a Brushtailed Possum, she was homeless due to Property Developers having knocked down her home and all the large trees that contained nesting hollows. It was Winter and the longest drought in history had made her usual food of blossoms and wild fruit very scarce. She was not alone for on her back she carried her young joey not yet weaned. Sadly, as she travelled the suburbs at night she came across many of her kind who had been run over by traffic.Her daily source of food became the seed pods of a large Leopard tree. However, the tree contained no nesting hollows and she spent her days resting in the open tops of palm trees.However, her forageing for food had not gone unnoticed. Mrs Jolly Swagman found her chewed seeds under the tree and questioned her husband as to what could be chewing them. Her husband suspected that they were the efforts of Rattus rattus but inspection of the trunk of tree showed claw marks "Elementary my Dear Watson maybe its a possum" . That evening a dog biscuit and a piece of apple were placed in the tree and both had disappeared by the following morning. Having time on his hands ( der so he was informed) The Jolly Swagman constructed a possum box which was placed about 3 metres above the ground, plus a feeding tray of assorted fruit.The possum immediately took up occupancy. Of course she had to be given a name and being Brushtail the name Sabco seemed very suitable and her daughter Willow. Every night they would emerge at dusk from their box, but not all nights wer spent there as Mothers have to teach their offspring about the natural food found in adjoining trees, and with Spring came the blossoms and fruit of the lillpilly trees, but both would return to the "Possum Hilton" after the absence of one night or so. The Jolly Swagman started to phone around to see if he could get Possum boxes placed in the trees of his local park, without success. One day he received a call from the Brisbane City Council asking him to tell Sabco's story in a newly created forum. Which he did. now I would like to tell you that the Sabco Brush Company has funded the possum box venture. Unfortunately they haven't Maybe cos they dont know the story of Sabco and Willow as no one has told them, but at least two Brushtails will have a very merry Xmas this year. No longer do they eat dog biscuits. These have given way to their favourite Biscuits spread with peanut butter and bananas. Oh Yes! the forum is at

http://202.148.140.166/ should you like to visit to see Sabco and Willows Pic. I am sure you will be made welcome

Comments (4)

• terrene
    16 years ago

Jollyswagman, I am touched by your story. The picture of Sabco and Willow is adorable.

It's sad that so much wildlife is being displaced by development (which developers call "improvements" in their design plans - yeah right). I guess it's happening all over the world. Homo sapiens appears to be the #1 invasive species on the planet, and just like an invasive species we don't live in balance with the environments that we invade. With our impressive cerebral cortex shouldn't we be smarter than that?

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Nice to see you Swaggy, I miss seeing you in the birding forum. It does not surprise me one bit that you are out there helping all the critters. I had a family consisting of a Mom and 3 babies as regular visitors last winter. I about went broke with the fruit bill but they made it through the winter fat and happy. (obviously not the brushtail variety)

• thejollyswagman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I'm delighted to be able to add a sequel to the story. I had a phone call from someone in the City Council to say as a result of my post in the Brisbane City Council forum ( which was at last count viewed by 238 people) One of whom was my old Xmas exchange buddy Richard ,from the Bird Forum who lives in USA....thanks for that if your reading Mate. However, back to the sequel....the Council tell me they are prioritizing the placement of boxes in my park. That means not only the possums, sugar gliders, pygmy possums will have new homes but also the Kookaburras and parrots. B.T.W I wass delighted to see a high school making possum and bird boxes for the local fauna on tv the other day. They had a new inovation in that the entrance hole was a piece of hollow log which made it look natural. The other thing that surpised me was that the class was made up of girls, using power tools etc. Unheard of in my day, it was craftwork and domestic science, and the boys used to insist on tasting their domestic science creations on the way home. Jolly good idea though as I know lots of guys who are useless with any kind of woodwork tool.....maybe they are good at domestic science ? Lol

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

Great story Jolly!

I am glad to see that someone was able to make a difference! I am so sick of seeing trees bulldozed and more "new homes" go up!

Why do people move out of houses that have nothing wrong with them to bigger homes with gigantic properties with nothing but grass? That wooded area served a very important purpose. In addition to providing shelter and food for animals and insects, the trees and shrubs recycled out carbon dioxide. Now in place there is grass, which can't recycle as much carbon dioxide as the trees and shrubs were able to.

And to think the global temperatures are increasing....

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!