Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decolady01

Owls....

decolady01
17 years ago

Ok, this is really more wildlife than I need up close and personal. This barred owl hit the French door a couple of nights ago trying make dinner of our parrots.

After it hit the door, it flopped around on the deck for a couple of minutes before getting up on one of the outdoor dining chairs. I had my camera and when I opened the door it managed to fly up to these limbs right by the deck. I was about 8' away when I made the shot.

What is really weird is that this same owl did the same thing two years ago, almost to the day. I haven't seen it again in all that time. Here's a photo I made through the window that night.

The owl is about 2' tall with a 4' wingspan. I'm delighted he's here, but I want him to find his dinner amongst the outdoor animals.

Becky

Comments (14)

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

The bird cannot see into the window, but sees the reflection as something it can fly into (like a forest). Since this seems to occur again and again, and can injure the bird, I recommend you put something on the glass to break up the reflection and prevent the bird from hurting itself. It can severly injure itself, or other birds can.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

What neat pictures Becky! Why kind of camera do you have?
    Was it completely dark out when this happened?

• decolady01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree that the owl can't see inside. If it had been daylight, then yes. But it was totally dark outside. Two years ago I turned on the outside light, hoping it would encourage the owl to leave. When it was dark it would sit there on the deck rail looking in the window where the parrot cage is just on the inside. There is a screen over that window. Then the lights were out in the room too. This week the light was on inside and dark outside. The owl has aimed at only two different windows, both of which have parrots right on the inside. I've been in touch with the state wildlife department. They also believe the owl was trying to fly through the window to get the parrots.

Catherine, glad you enjoyed seeing the photos. They were made with two different cameras. Two years ago I was using a Nikon Coolpix 995. I thought it did pretty well getting a picture through the screen. Now I am using a Nikon D50 with an 18-200 Nikkor lens. I'm really enjoying it.

Becky

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

Can you pull some blinds at night, so the owl can't see inside?

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Again: The bird see the reflection. Pulling down the shades increases the reflection. Put things on the outside of the window to break up the reflection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird strikes

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

In case you still don't believe me : )

Here is a link that might be useful: NPR Windows: A Clear Danger to Birds

• decolady01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I do know that birds see reflections in windows and run into them. The link you provided shows windows in the daytime. It's well documented that birds hit windows during DAYLIGHT hours, because all they can see is the reflection in the glass. However, at night when there is no light outside, there is no way for them to see a reflection. They see through the glass. I covered up the parrots for several weeks and the owl did not try to go through the window. The first night I left the parrots uncovered, the owl was back, trying to go through the window again.

And btw, I have things on the outside of the window, including a hanger with an empty bird feeder on it. I'm sorry you don't believe me, but these are the facts.

Becky

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Maybe the world is different where you live. Maybe read the article on the subject? There is light at night. The moon? Stars? Other light?

Because of the reflection they cannot see through the windows.

Birds migrate at night and millions hit windows. They are not trying to get through.

But: Whatever. Good luck to you and your parrots.

• comettose
    17 years ago

Reflections or not the owl sees the parrots. Have you thought about moving the parrots to another location? Don't parrots go to bed at night with a cover over their cage? Or close a curtain on the window so nobody can see anything through the window at all. Just a few suggestions, but I don't like to see owls taking nose dives at caged birds behind windows. You can take control of this situation to make all the birds happy and safe.

Thank you.
    CT

• anita22
    17 years ago

FWIW, clearly the owl doesn't understand that windowglass is a potentially fatal barrier. You, however, do, so as comettose remarks, you can take control of this situation to make everybody happy and safe.

• margueritte
    17 years ago

Just got an owl house for Christmas and haven't put it up. I have had great luck with a Bluebird house in my back yard. I am aware owls are nocturnal - but wonder if the birds in my area would see the more constant presence of an owl threatening. I would hate to be helping raise baby Bluebirds as a snack. I would obviously not place the houses right next to each other. thanks. Margueritte

• lucygreenthumb
    17 years ago

Owls and bluebirds should be fine together and I don't think the bluebirds will mind the owl they'll be roosting snug and quiet when the owl is on the hunt. The owl is looking and listening for movement not small, still, sleeping birds. Many birds actually pick on owls in the daylight.

The owl could actually benefit your bluebirds by discouraging other predators away from the nest. Raccoons and cats hunt at night and might stay away from a place frequented by an owl.

Owls including the beautiful barred owl pictured (GREAT pics BTW!) usually prefer rodents and rabbits although they are also opportunists and will munch roadkill or parrots that seem to be just hanging out.

Now a quick test to settle the great reflection debate, one test being worth a thousand expert opinions and all....turn off the kitchen light and go out side and look at the glass. I'm guessing you'll see light reflected from some source. Now go in the house and turn on the light and repeat the experiment. The reflections you saw before are still there, but you probably can't see them because the light from inside is overpowering the reflections...making them and the glass nearly 'invisible'.

Now it's possible that an outside light could be bright enough to see a reflection even when a light is shining through the glass but it's doubtful unless you're at a weird angle to it. In a way you're BOTH correct.

However, even tho birds CAN see through glass in this situation its NOT a problem as the vast majority of them are sleeping not flying at the only time this can occur.

The exception being beautiful owls. Birds see glass differently than we do but a big part of the difference is the fact that we understand it see and recognize glass without even being aware of our subconscious reaction.

Thanks for your time,
    Lucy

• debndal
    17 years ago

I'm here to tell ya Lucy that I walked into a very clean plate glass wall at the airport one day, so I actually know how the poor birds feel!! And since birds have much keener site than us humans, they could have seen the parrots AND the reflection and thought the parrots were sittin' in a tree.

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

At night, if the lights are ON inside, an owl will see the same thing we do: the brightly lit interior. Reflections do not over-power light beaming OUT of a window. Moonlight and such would only be a factor if the lights were OUT.

But whatever....

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County