Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vonyon

NH State Forest Nursery

vonyon
20 years ago

I think I remember someone saying that they had bought some seedlings from the NH State Forest Nursery. I think the person said that they were quite pleased with their order. I am excited to say that I just received their catalog and they have a nice selection of native plants if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: NH State Forest Nursery

Comments (19)

• moonwolf23
    20 years ago

THanks, i just emailed them for a catalog.

• AsterixnObelix
    20 years ago

I think nyrita had bought seedlings from them.

• Flowerkitty
    20 years ago

thanks it looks like a great place. I am going to pass on this url

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Yup, it was me. I bought from them last year and was very pleased. I am putting together an order for this Spring also.

• vonyon
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Rita: Since I live up on the border of NH, I catch a NH station for the news. I have seen that the NH State Nursery may be cut from the budget for next year! Lets hope not! I'm going to order from them also. It suggests ordering early. I'm hoping to get it together in a few weeks.

• lusina
    20 years ago

What a wonderful program - raising NH plants from NH seed. If only there were something like that in my area. I could plant most of what they have, of course, but I'd prefer to have material from native Long Island stock.

• cockerrescuer
    19 years ago

I thought they sold only natives. I noticed on their website that they sell ruguso rose. I didn't think that was native, am I wrong?

Cheryl

• vonyon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Cheryl: They do sell non-natives......not many, but some.

• lukifell
    19 years ago

I notice they sell American Mountain Ash.

In my experience the European Mountain Ash is superior in every aspect to the American version.

The only reason to plant an American Mountain Ash is if you wanted something with fewer fruit that was less attractive to wildlife. On a tree that was less vigorous with a shorter lifespan.

• vonyon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I always plant natives especially on berrying trees and shrubs. They run the risk of becoming invasive. By the name, I'm guessing that the European is non-native? I would plant American over European. If the American version is troublesome I would avoid it altogether. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I did a lot of planting this weekend and I'll say it again, I cannot believe these plants. I planted 10 V. cassinoides with extensive root systems. The package of 10 cost me $10. I still cannot believe the value. They are not much smaller than a bush that I paid over $10 a piece for from a retailer!

• Iris GW
    19 years ago

Even I bought some, way down here in Georgia. Yes, the v.cassinoides looked great and the price was unbeatable. I also got some wax myrtle (nice unusual evergreen); it looked "dead" when I got it but is breaking dormancy now.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

The largest of the shrub Silky Dogwoods I bought from NH State Nursery last Spring is going to bloom for me this year. I can see the flower clusters appearing on the branches. I just can't say enough good things about the quality and affordable price of their stock!!!!

• vonyon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Whew, just finished planting about 65 shrubs from them yesterday. This project has taken the better part of three weekends. I hope mine escape the rabbits and deer this winter. Glad to hear yours are doing so well Rita.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

My Red Elderberry that I got from them last year has nice ripe red berries now and has for awhile. I don't know what eats them, as I have never seen anything eat them, but some of them dissapear so something does. I was surprised at how small the berries are, somehow I had pictured something bigger.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

For anyone new on the Forums that has not heard of this place, check them out. Can't rave enough about them.

• vonyon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread to let everyone know that the new catalog just came in the mail yesterday. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the selection.........no serviceberries and very few viburnums. I was hoping to order some v. trilobums! :o(

Oh well, they seem to have loads of dogwoods. I will probably just continue my dogwood thicket. Maybe this will force me to try some new plants. I'm always pleased when I try something new. I would caution anyone that intends to order from them to do it early. I lost out on the trilobums last year because I waited to order until after Christmas.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

vonyon theirs a place in ther berkshires of mass that sells native plants. they may have some. THe name is project native. You may try googling it. If that doesn't get you anywhere email me and i'll try to get you the number.

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

My Red Elderberries from NH State Nursery that I planted afew years ago are going to bloom like crazy this spring. The Silky and grey dogwoods I got from them have also grown like crazy and I hope more bloom this year.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!