Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tracks in snow??

Posted by konrad___far_north 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 9, 06 at 21:21

Hi all!
I'm wondering what this could be, my guess is Skunk?
Those tracks are constantly around my bee hives.
Konrad
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tracks in snow??

Not sure, but it could be a porcupine.

BN

o

Not sure. (?) But there is a fantastic book on mammal tracks & sign by Mark Elbroch. Its a litlle pricey but entirely worth it. You can find it below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mammal Tracks & Sign: A Guide to North American Species

o

Looks like a white Christmas for you!

o

Thank you all!

>>Not sure, but it could be a porcupine

I definitely have to consider it!...thanks!

>>Looks like a white Christmas for you!

Yea...this stuff came a bit too early this year, since October and never melted!
Konrad

o

Yes, I was thinking something a little larger than a skunk. The gait is rather wide for a skunk, unless you guys up there have EXTRA LARGE skunks ;o)

Nice photo...thanks for sharing. :o)

Barb

o

I'm having a hard time judging size. I need a frame of reference in all that white. Looks like something fairly low to the ground.

o

I have a number of paperback Peterson's field guides and, if I remember correctly, the basic one on Mammals of N.America (which I do not have) had tracks shown. I have seen it in antique and junk stores in the book section and assume it is still in publication.
Strangly, the book makes me feel bad, because so many minor subspecies, and even species, pictured, are gone or endangered. I may get it for my grandson, next time I see it.

o

Thanks again!
Next time I see it again, I will put a tape measure down.
Konrad

o

Konrad,

Next time you see it try to take a picture strait down into the track so the print will show. You may have to check out several of the foot prints to get a clear print but you will probably find one.

To me it appears similar to a badger/wolverine trail on one of the nature shows I used to watch before I found out too much about how they were made.

o

Thank you maifleur!

Here is another one...never seen this before.
As for prospective...leaf in the print. Only seen this in one spot, not going anywhere from here.
Nov. 26, 2011

About 100 yard away from the first one...could be the same animal?

Nov. 26, 2011

o

Those last pix look like a bird of prey nailed something on the snow.

tj

o

Yes,...this got me thinking too when I posted this, I was thinking of a Magpie, the long tail feather scraping the snow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here