Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coyotes don't eat Opposums?

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 23:54

Recently, I notice Coyotes have been hanging out in the backyard. I went to load the feeder and surprised one hiding behind the bush. Today, I saw two coyotes. They are always trying to get to the squirrels but are not fast enough. Today, I thought they would snap up the opposum that seems to hang around my yard, but instead ignore it. I thought Coyote eat opposums?

On another note, the Opposum doesn't look so good. I wonder if they can get frostbite on their tails?

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coyotes don't eat Opposums?

Coyotes will not eat anything that they think might harm them. If the Opossum was well it would have been gone by now.

Yesterday, sorry I do not remember the site, I was reading that the use of high powered rat/mouse baits, warfarin, are believed to be causing deaths of other animals and birds up the food chain. The suggestion was that hawks, owls and other predator's were eating the rodents that had consumed the poison. Since the poison remained in the rodent it passed to the predator and so on down the line. The big question that remained unanswered was why were deer and other non-meat eaters being found with high amounts of the same chemical in their blood. My thought was the decaying bodies released the substance into the ground, which then went into the water systems. It could be possible that because your opossum eats anything it finds that it may have eaten animals that had died or were dying from the poison.

o

"Coyotes will not eat anything that they think might harm them. If the Opossum was well it would have been gone by now. "

Well...coyote and wolve existence depends on culling the weak and the lame. Opossum can be on their diet but part of "playing opossum" means giving off a foul odor and that may deter them, for now. If the coyotes get hungry enough, they'll eat it.

tj

o

The opposum came back the next day and looked much better, but then after a few days, it disappear entirely. May be the coyotes got him.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here