Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone here do cold winter vegetables up north?

Posted by applebake 4b/5, WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 02 at 9:58

Hi - I have a cold greenhouse in the spirit of Helen & Scott Nearing (of New England) and wondering if any of you are doing such things - well I have a ton of seedlings out there, living, but the growth is at a snail's pace - nothing to eat yet except the Brussels sprouts. Last summer they "pouted" all season and didn't want to produce until I moved them in the greenhouse, in the fall. :) Helen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone here do cold winter vegetables up north?

Helen,

For winter vegetables you need to start them at the right time in the fall. They rarely grow much if at all in the winter due to low light and temperature, but will remain in a harvestable almost dormant state for a long time. Check out Eliot Coleman's books (he lives on land he bought from the Nearings, just south of their Maine homestead). We have been eating vegetables from the unheated greenhouse for 27 months straight now, with plenty left.

o

I find this so fascinating! My greenhouse was completed the very day the killing frost was expected, and hit. I transferred a number of plants from the traditional garden but it really didn't amount to much volume. It warmed up again, and I started lots of seedlings - they are there, tolerating the low sun, lack of surface water and cold, but waiting until it warms. I would have *loved* to have had it started earlier - I absolutely had to fight to get the time off I had, and it took me 3 full days hard labor to finish the greenhouse, prepare the ground, fill with the new soil... How long have you been doing this in Maine? Helen

o

I was out in my unheated house yesterday to get some rosemary & parsley. Ground is still unfrozen under the remay cloth, although I should say it has been a fairly mild winter so far; lowest temperatures have been perhaps 10F and most of the time it has been in the high teens or low twenties at night.

Even so, these structures are quite amazing. Things should start going in a couple of weeks. Longer days and more light from the sun rising in the sky really make a difference.

Have a photo or two of my homemade hoophouse.

Bill McKay in E. Massachusetts

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse photo

o

• Posted by Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 02 at 20:01

Bill, that link sends us not to your hoophouse but to here:
http://www.growitalian.com/

So give us another link. Would like to see your hoophouse. If you can have veggies all winter in Maine, I should be able to do it in Ohio.

o

Well I never heard of such a thing.
Do you think I could set one up and it be succesful here in Iowa?
Thanks, Craze

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here