Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering in Winter?

Posted by fpogoda 5 N NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 02 at 15:32

In northern NJ, (Zone 6, I don't know how to change the 5 on my profile)we're in the midst of a pretty severe draught. My question is: Is there any benefit to watering my recently transplanted young (4ft) white pines?

Is there any other plantlife that benefits from winter watering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering in Winter?

• Posted by Lee1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 02 at 16:59

Absolutely without a doubt...you must certainly water those newly transplanted white pines. They require a lot of water after transplanting and must be kept well watered throughout the winter. If they are allowed to freeze without water, they will dehydrate. The water freezes around the roots rather than the roots freezing themselves and supplies water to the plant during the winter months. Water the trees until the ground freezes and then again after the ground thaws. That will certainly save your trees from dying. All evergreens continue growing during the winter months but a t a slower rate and need some water, but your newly transplanted trees need it the most.

o
RE: Watering in Winter?

Water them now...we're going to have severe restrictions soon. I, for one, am hoping to spend the summer away so I don't have to watch my babies shrivel!

Nym

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here