Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeona_sky

Placement of winter shrubs

yeona_sky
22 years ago

I'm trying to decide how to place my winter shrubs. So far I have calicarpa dichotoma, jasmine nudiflorum and viburnum dawn bodnantense. In the next few weeks I'll be adding Sarcococca Hookeriana Humilis, and Daphne. I'm saving my loonies (Canadian Dollar coins) for Witch Hazel. What I'm wondering is do you have a winter garden area or do you intersperse the plants and shrubs amongst your other season plants? I have the room to do either.

Thank you,

Yeona

Comments (8)

• John_D
    22 years ago

I have interspersed mine--that way I get a bit of color and a fragrant whiff in different parts of the garden (and in our mild climate we don't have to worry about planting them in "protected" spots.

• nonews
    22 years ago

I would agree, to intersperse. That way, which ever way you look, you will have a winter treasure.

• teri2
    22 years ago

Hi, yeona sky. What is the source of the name "loonies" for the dollar coin? Is it the bird?

A common expression around here is "saving my pennies" for a special purchase. If you're saving dollars, looks like you'll be shopping way before me.

• yeona_sky
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I've decided to intersperse my flowers as suggested thanks.
    Which winter plants do you put near the door for scent?

Yes, Teri2, it's the bird, the loon. Although there really is no saying that I have to "save my loonies' I used that description to describe how much it is for Witch Hazel. I'll never have enough to get the Witch Hazel I want if I just save my pennies.
    Thank you,
    Yeona

• sam_wa
    22 years ago

Hi Yeona - some of the shrubs you mentioned are good fragrant winter plants - Sarcococca, Witch Hazel, Daphne and Viburnum. You might also like Chimonanthus virginicus (wintersweet) and Edgeworthia chrysantha. Good luck!!

Sam

• Eduarda
    22 years ago

Hi Yeona

If you have the room, why not use both approaches? I own a small garden and I decided to devote the front garden, which faces West, to a Winter garden. I planted a firethorn edge, a picea to serve as a Christmas tree and a liquidambar for the Fall colors. Shrubs include viburnum tinus, two rugosa roses (for the hips), junipers, thuyas (inclding Rheingold, a very impressive copper at this point in time) and other small conifers, osmanthus, nandina domestica (including the Firepower) and several kinds of holly.

Holly is an endangered species in Portugal, so I´m trying to do my bit to help preserve it. So far I have assembled a small collection - Ilex aquifolium, aureo marginata and Golden King. I plan to add more as time and money allows. I have also planted a lot of bulbs, including crocus, narcissus (hoping they will naturalize), muscaris and irises.

Because Summer is also important in this part of the garden, I have just planted two additional roses: a china called Mutabilis and David Austin´s Jude the Obscure, to add to the Maigold climber planted last year to climb through the porch.

This area is also the one featuring a bird feeder and a bird bath. Even though I only started the whole garden a year ago, I can already see the difference this area makes. I have decided entirely against grass, because I consider it totally inadequate for our hot Summer months and a big waste of valuable water, so I´m covering the ground with pine bark mulch (not completely done yet) and adding groundcovers like cotoneaster horizontalis and cistus.

I believe it pays off to have at least one nice area you can look at in Winter, specially if you´re starting a garden from scratch. In subsequent years I plan to add more Winter interest to the remaining parts of the garden. This year I have already added a couple of viburnum tinus (very usefull shrub), ilex and nandina to the Spring and Summer part of the garden.

Have fun with your Winter garden!
    Eduarda

• diggerGB
    22 years ago

I have a small twisted hazel over my pond and a curley willow at the back of the garden which is set off by two fir trees.This year I introduced a topiaried bush into the main border for winter interest.A small 10ft square of the main garden is paved like a draughts board surrounded by trellis which supports ivy and passion flower with dwarf golden conifers set at each corner.The bird table in the centre gives it a focal point. All this gives winter interest and provides a good framework for summer planting.At the back of the garden I have a small lawn which faces south. Here I have constructed frames up which I'm training a plum tree into a fan shape and two pears as espaliers.I think that theres nothing better than a well trained fruit tree to add interest and structure to a garden.They certainly look alot better than my sprawling old apple trees.Hope this is useful to someone.

• iann
    21 years ago

I try to put winter colour where it can be seen from inside, or from the driveway. No point having beautiful plants where they can only be enjoyed when you are sitting out in the garden, because that doesn't happen round here in the winter.

--ian

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz