Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener86

Winter is great so far!

teengardener86
22 years ago

. . . Or at least it is for me. Its January here in zone 5, and It's the first time in my life that my scabiosa's, alyssums' and pansies are in bloom at this time of year! The spikes are also not dead yet. I am really appreciating them this winter, because usually at this time of year in other winters I am longing for spring big time. Tomorrow I have to go water the bulb planters in the cold frame, because the soil is dry and not frozen! I am wondering that if the weather stays this way that I should take them out of there. Well, just wanted to share my happiness.

-Happy Gardening-

-TG86

Comments (8)

• Laura36
    22 years ago

I can agree with that!
    This is very differant for us Zone 5's!!!
    Laura:)

• burntgrass
    22 years ago

Even in Scotland it's nae bad this year!
    Cleaned out my potting shed this weekend past, weeded the garden and cleaned out the car!
    Already planning my summer garden with software....

Nope, nae bad at all!

McPeg

• John_D
    22 years ago

Yes, this winter is truly great. I have about a dozen camellias blooming right now.

• pondwelr
    22 years ago

My zone 5 is a joy too. Wisconsin has had just enough snow to beautify the world. Plenty of sunshine. I am one of the surprisingly many who love changing seasons. I could never stand the damp and gloom and rain of so much of the west coast. No blooming crocus or anything else could ever make up for the glorious beauty of sun sparkling on snow, or the dumbstruck awe of moonlight and quiet of an evening hushed by a foot of snowfall. I have tried to love other parts of the U.S. Enjoy visiting most of them. Even tried to live in warmer climes. One sweltering summer was about enough to cure me. I guess its all what you get used to.
    And like the old song "love the one your with".

• John_D
    22 years ago

"damp and gloom and rain "

Whazzat?

• pondwelr
    22 years ago

You can ask me WHAZZAT? DH and I spent five years in the pacific west. Absolutely loved the mild climate. loved the mountains but they melted and swept away homes. Only one of the drawbacks that were unmentioned by the real estate agents.
    And we really got depressed by the rain and damp and mold. Jeeze, everything was mouldy!
    Adored the scenery. Loved the beaches. Turned out it wasnt enough.

We finally realized that seasons were necessary and defining. I am never in zone envy. Even tho we spend time in Fl or TX during some winter months.

You all have your reasons for choosing where you live. Not nice to foist on anyone else.

• Bill_zone6
    22 years ago

January 28th and 65 degrees. The groundcovers are starting to green up. I wouldn't mind some snow, without sleet or freezing rain. Gee, another month and it will be time to cut back woody perennials.

• teri2
    22 years ago

I'm afraid I have to cast a vote against this record setting warm winter. My neighborhood has Star Magnolia, Flowering Quince, Forsythia, and Winter Jasmine, not to mention various early bulbs, that are in bloom now but will be brown mush on Saturday morning according to the forecast. I know from past years that the sight of that brown stuff still hanging on when real spring gets here is not wonderful!

Then there's the matter of overwintering grubs that are snug in the unfrozen earth and will emerge in the spring in huge populations to do unmentionable things to the garden. Aaargh! My garden always seems to be at its best when the seasons follow one another in a well defined and regular rhythm. IMHO

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio