Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what small plants do well in winter?

Posted by whitney_ SE,Fl,USA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 02 at 18:14

I am a student in middle school and I am doing a science project on plants. These plants are going to be planted in winter in pots. I don't know very much about plants, so I don't know what kind of plants to get for my project. Any advice would be appreciated.
Whitney:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what small plants do well in winter?

Does SE FL mean Southest Florida? If it does, you are in luck - lots of things will grow well in pots. Are they going to be indoors, or outdoors? How much sun? Your best bet is to go to a nursery and talk to the people there - they can give you the best guidance as to what works in your specific area.

For outdoors, you probably want to buy plants that are already started. There are lots of annuals you can try. Available now are pansies, snapdragons, and primroses - they're easy and very pretty. If you want to plant vegetables, you can try pole beans if you have a large pot and a trellis. Or bell peppers if you get a dwarf variety and have a pot that is pretty big.

If you are growing them indoors, you can start the plants from seed in flats, then transplant to pots as they get bigger. Nasturtiums are easy - pretty flowers and I hear you can eat them (but I haven't ever done it). Also easy from seed are sweet peas, but you need either a dwarf variety or a trellis.

Good luck and have fun!
:)

o

PLEASE, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I CAN PLANT THIS TIME OF YEAR. SOMETHING THAT WILL BLOOM THIS SPRING? ANYTHING???? THANKS GIGI

o

• Posted by Lee1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 02 at 20:11

Peas, lima beans and radishes are all fast growing seeds that are good for a science project. I like Janine's idea of flowers too! Gigi, it really is too late in the winter to plant anything in Zone 7. Even though the weather has been mild, we can get a sudden freeze and anything you plant won't make it. Flowering bulbs really have to be planted in Fall in order to come up for the Spring. You could try planting them now but they may come up stunted the first year and may or may not flower. They need adequate time in the ground. Someone on the winter sowing forum may be able to help you more with this. Hope you find an answer. If not, why not plant flowers in the spring?

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here