Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonews

Winter evergreen perennials

nonews
20 years ago

As a new to the Carolinas gardner, I decided to take inventory of my perennials that are green in the midst of winter - 19 degrees this morning. I was amazed at the number of plants -

scabiosis,

christmas fern,

male fern,

green & gold - chrosgynum virginianum

golden ragwort - senecio aureus

yarrow

stokes aster and of course

Heleboro - Lenten Rose and many others.

Keep your eyes open. Next I will look for the evergreen shrubs - other than the hollies and camelias.

Enjoy the winter. Nancy

Comments (9)

• Katt_TX
    20 years ago

My scabiosa (pincushion) is an evergreen here, and is still blooming. The columbine that I started late last summer is green and quite interesting as a foliage plant. Mums and asters are still green as usual.

I'm thinking that over time, I may add more mums and asters as borders. Even though they only bloom a couple of months out of the year, what I'm finding I like about them is that they definitely add low maintenance winter interest (in my area) and can be cut back low to make room for other plants in the spring and summer.

My favorite evergreen shrubs in the garden this time of year are the nandina and pyracantha. Hollyhocks are also still (mostly) green and continue to provide structural interest, even though they stopped blooming a couple of months ago.

Though definitely not evergreen, multitrunked crape myrtles that have been judiciously pruned also add a nice effect (especially when backlit at night).

The red, copper, periwinkle, and white pansies I planted earlier in the season are still providing lots of color.

• andreap
    20 years ago

Here is what I have after 10 degrees F the other night and the inch or so of snow that has melted, all full sun:
    Shrubs/Trees ( I had sprayed some of these with Wilt-Proof):
    Little Gem Magnolia
    Eucalyptus
    Nandina
    Indian Hawthorne
    Boxwood
    Juniper Blue Star
    Oleander
    Perennials, biennials, annuals:
    Lavender
    Hyssop
    Scabiosa (still hasn't stopped blooming)
    Heather (blooming)
    Bearded Iris (the ones I didn't cut back)
    Daisies
    snapdragons
    nigella
    Sweet Williams
    Candytuft
    Yarrow
    Sempervivum
    Coreopsis (tickseed)
    Pansies (blooming)
    Moss Phlox (looks scraggly, but trying to bloom)
    Dianthus
    Lamb's ears
    Euphorbia char. wulfenii (though the ones I transplanted in the fall don't look very good)
    Hollyhocks and Globe thistle foliage still have bottom leaves, but look a little frost-burnt.
    Rosemary (not planted in my border with the others, but I'm considering moving some; the problem is that they take up so much space)

The list may look long, but the garden looks like it still needs help in the winter. Can Stoke's Aster handle full, hot sun? Any other ideas?
    Andrea

• nonews
    Original Author
    20 years ago

My stokes aster is in mostly sun, but a little shade - and its very happy.
    This week I spotted the buds on the Lenten rose. What a great find in the cold of winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1350831}}

• razorback33
    20 years ago

Hi NoNews,
    For evergreen shrubs, look for Daphne odora, now in full bud and blooms in Feb. There are marginated leaf varieties that make them even more attractive. Rhododebdrons, native & non-native. R. chapmanii(native) & R. 'PJM' are low growing types. Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Variegatus'(English False Holly) provides year-round color(very slow growing). Native species of terrestrial orchids, Tipularia discolor and Goodyera pubescens have winter foliage, as does the non-native Calanthe(discolor, sieboldii, x Kozu, etc.) and I like Cyclamen! Many species have attractive winter foliage and blooms! Ligularia tussilaginea cultivars have attractive foliage, but may require protection. There are a number of eveergreen ferns that provide winter interest. For winter blooming perennials, IMHO, nothing surpasses the Helleborus! Especially, the old clumps that produce dozens of simultaneous flowers.
    Rb

• mole_tx
    20 years ago

Wow candytuft AND eucalyptus! I happen to have seeds for them this year woo whooo!!!

If you enjoy herbs, several will stay green at least here. I have been using them as fillers in flower beds etc as well as a few in their own patch. I have English lavender, thyme, oregano and sage. Yarrow, and dusty miller (Centaurea cineraria - a perennial species) are all going strong here.

Shrubs (I'm a zone higher but several will apply)
    Texas sage (lovely bush! silvery little leaves that throws surprise flower sessions a few times a year) Not sure how tender it might be. I can track down genus/species if you are curious.
    Lavender - I have 10 of these I grew from seed. More like hedges. The plants around about 2 feet tall.
    Germander - one of my newest seeds to get started. It is also a smallish shrublike herb.
    I have another few shrubs in the front yard I have not yet identified which appear to be evergreen.

• andreap
    20 years ago

Mole TX, happy belated bd! (I checked out your page). Where are you in Texas? I don't know what DFW means. And what exactly is Texas sage? I've been thinking about sages, and also germander. My lavender is suddenly looking awful, must be the consistent temps in the 20's every night. Zones don't always serve as the best guide for what works I guess, it depends not on average minimum temperatures, but average consistent temperatures. My brother lives in Galveston (Z 8b or 9?), and he says it rarely gets below 40 degrees F at night, which makes growing certain evergreens a lot easier. Here the average low is supposed to be 0-10, but it rarely gets below 15. Good luck with your candy tuft and eucalyptus. My candytuft is the white kind; found it growing in the shade when I moved here and transplanted it; I've seen the colored kinds but often listed under annuals and am not sure if this is the same thing? I tried a few eucalyptus seeds last year but they damped off--my fault. I got mine as a shrub, kept it in a pot and sheltered for a year, but it is now about 4' x 3', thriving in max. exposure and looks great. I've been digging up unknown evergreens from the woods in the back and potting them up to display in my front sun garden--talk about desparate!
    Andrea

• mesquiteent
    20 years ago

Hi,

I assume the Texas sage Mole TX referred to is Leucophyllum frutenscens, or Leucophyllum candidum, AKA cenizo. A silvery shrub with purple flowers that appear after spring and summer rains. The usual height is 2-3 feet, but I have seen them taller than that here in west Texas. My husband and I grow Texas natives, so we are well acquainted with this one:) I love it, but hate seeing people prune them into box-shapes! It can freeze back in severe winters, but there are more cold-hardy varieties. Full sun, hardly any water (you can kill it with too much water), beautiful silver color...awesome!

~Mesquite Ent~

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas sage

• 3dheaven_comcast_net
    18 years ago

Maybe someone here can help me. I need to cover a fence (prefereably in such a way as to block view-thru for privacy0, that is 7 feet tall by 15 feet wide.

it gets real cold here in new jersey : -10 F is possible,
    and it can get as hot as 110F.

If i could find something that never dies that is evergree i guess, i would be delighted.

My email address is 3dheaven@comcast.net
    http://paintmenow.com/

Thanks in advance.

• bogturtle
    17 years ago

In another winter garden posting I mentioned Arum italicum, Asarum europaeum as winter interest plants. My soil is acid here so I am able to indulge in heath family plants like the box huckleberry, sandmyrtle, bearberry. Other evergreens, that may or may not need acid soil are Osmanthus fragrans, the Cyrilla or TiTi('Graniteville' is ground hugging) and Pachistima canbyi. Some of these plants actually may not like it too warm, others may find my zone is their northern limit.
    There are various large and small evergreen barberry plants like Berberis irwinii, B. 'William Penn' and some ending in nana as dwarf forms. Mazus reptans and Lamium maculatum seem evergreen here. There is also another type of evergreen creeping blueberry like the box huckleberry that is native to the SouthEast. The best cultivar seems to be something like 'Well's Delight'. Names sometimes escape me but it may be V. crassifolium.

Sponsored