Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Winter Garden in Ontario-Photos

Posted by wyndyacre z6B SW Ont. (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 20:48

I've been developing my acre garden for 12 years and specifically designing for winter interest as well. It took me 5 or 6 years before I began to see a difference in the winter time.
I've planted a lot of different evergreens (I'm surrounded by empty farm fields in the winter and needed the windbreak) plus many ornamental trees. Birch, redbuds, crabapples, magnolias, japanese maples, beech, gingko, dawn redwood, service berry. Shrubs include viburnam, dogwoods, rose of sharon, spireas, hollies, blue mist, rhodos, azaleas, ninebark, weigela, elderberry, hydrangea, witch hazel.
My perennial beds are large and becoming more shade orientated as the years progress. But ornamental grasses are a large part of my sunny beds.
An important part of the winter garden is the hardscaping-arbours, well placed statues and art,the greenhouse and studio, birdhouses and feeders....and of course the birds. :)

Savanah Girl wears a mantle of snow

Thru the main arbour to greenhouse.

Arbour and birdhouses .

Kokepelli dances in the snow.

Bird feeding station in the snow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Winter Garden in Ontario-Photos

wyndyacre,
You have a created a work of art.Wish I could get some winter snow here in Texas.No luck yet.I just love the third pic with all the snow on the trees in the back ground.
Rigo74

o

So beautiful - and I can imagine the quiet peace....and stillness.
thanks for sharing

o

Those are very beautiful pictures! You should submit them to the gardening magazines so everyone can enjoy them.

o

Great pics. Thanks for sharing

o

Very beautiful scenery, So peaceful looking, we have had a couple snows, but about 5 inches at the most. Sometimes we have a BIG one. Thanks for sharing your pretty place.

o

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
The snow has been melting quickly these last couple of days. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some clean up in the garden soon.

o

really stunning pics- enjoy

o

Hi Windyacre
What lovely pictures! I came across your pictures while doing research for an article I am writing for my Master Gardening course. My topic is "creating interest in the winter garden" Would you mind if I used one of them for my article? It would not be published for profit...just a paper I have to write for the course...(Nova Scotia Agricultural College MGOI)

thanks so much - Tracey (aka pondgal51)

o

My conifer garden in Kansas City. 2-25-2011

Dave

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

2-25-2011

o

nice work - love your photos

mr toad

o

Beautiful, beautiful winter garden. Thanks for sharing this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here