Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bogturtle

Winter Garden

bogturtle
12 years ago

Pushing my blog 'Bogturtle's Garden'.

Unprofessional, amateur, non-commercial, apolitical.

Same plants, as the years go, bigger, of course. With new introductions.

Wanted color in Winter and have worked at that.

Zone 7a, in S. Jersey. Contradicts usual images and ideas about NJ. Often repeated plants and comments, newly pictured, with my little camera.

Gardening nuts might find it appealing.

Google in Bogturtle's Garden. I hope it is easy to find.

Comments (8)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Interesting to see what's in flower with you. It's the same range of plants as we have over here in winter. I like your selection of C hederifolium - it has very pronounced silver markings. Just one thing - your winter jasmine is Jasminum nudiflorum, not Gelsemium sempervirens(that's tender). A couple of other suggestions which might do for you for winter colour - various winter flowering Viburnums, various Sarcococas and Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis'. All are in flower here now.

• anyah
    12 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration. I am gardening on a wet wooded lot in South Jersey and I love the idea of winter flowers. I just planted my first witch hazels in the fall and I am enjoying the little blooms.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Sorry - just saw my typo in Sarcococca.

• bogturtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyah: Could not email you directly.
    Land that is moist would support many wonderful plants that suffer with drought on this sandy soil,many natives.
    I have Gelsemium rancini, I believe, which is an unusual Southern native like G. sempervirens, Zenobia, colored bark dogwoods, Vacciniums, native Azaleas, and others that would appreciate the ground water near to the surface. Perhaps even the plant I have found most challenging, Franklinia.
    I try to stay non-commercial,but if you email me, I do not sell, but can tell where I bought my plants.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Hi again, Bogturtle. I have studied the photo on your blog again and I would be prepared to bet very heavily that what you have there is Jasminum nudiflorum, not Gelsemium rankinii. G rankinii is evergreen. J nudiflorum flowers on bare stems, as shown in your picture. It does not twine like G rankinii and is a plant I have know all my life. I don't wish to nit pick but it would be better to have the correct label on the blog. If you want confirmation you could post the picture on the Name that Plant Forum, here on GW, to see what others say.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Now I am rather confused. I looked at your blog again and scrolled right to the bottom. There you have a picture of the same plant which is labelled Gelsemium sempervirens at the top of the blog, labelled as Jasminum nudiflorum. ??????

• bogturtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for correcting me in my misnaming of Jasminium nudiflorum. I hope visitors will correct me.
    Have had that plant, along with Gelsemium semperflorens, for a long time, and they are not easily confused, but I do make some big mistakes. Over the years I have identified both correctly by the photos I publish, but not this time.
    At any rate, I think the blog is correct, now.

• bogturtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As an example of my frequent errors, I misidentified G. sempervivium as semperflorens. I should have known better, sempervivium usually meaning everliving, but actually referring to the fact that the vine is evergreen. Semperflorens, of course, means always flowering.
    Some high school latin sticks with me, and has shed some light on the names given to some plants by Botanists.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz