Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlovescrochet

Sowing help for a beginner

Jlovescrochet
21 years ago

Hello:

I would appreciate any advice on starting plants fom seeds for my first garden. Unfortunately, my first attempt is failing. I have placed herb seeds (mint, cilantro, and parsley) and strawberry seeds in terra cotta containers, and ice cube trays in a southwest facing window -- with a grow light above and a heating mat below. I have also used those plastic greenhouse things that you can buy at WalMart. I was careful not to sow the seeds too deeply -- especially the mint. My temperature never falls below 70 degrees or rises above 80. I spritz my soil so that it remains moist, but not ever soggy, and I used Burpee seeds and Burpee seed starting soil. It has been over two weeks and NOT a thing has sprouted. Eveything that I used -- except the ice cube trays -- has drainage holes. Could it be that I placed the table too close to the window? The table is about two inches away from the glass pane. I have read everything that I can find on gardening, and I REALLY want to start an organic garden from seeds, but I am getting a tad bit frustrated, because I cannot even grow the simplest herbs! Thanks for any advice or help!

Comments (3)