Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Winter Gardening in GA is basically a bust

rjinga
15 years ago

and not worth the effort, in my opinion. I planted cabbage, collard, turnip, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, beets

Collards and Turnip and beets might still have hope, but growth is very slow, brocolli forget it, one quarter sized brocolli looking formation on stunted plants...Cabbage, has not grown since it was put in, same with cauliflower. The arugula is ok, but went to seed quickly, multiplying onions are the ONLY thing that seems to be doing well.

Some of this is in raised beds, some in the garden...the garden soil is much better than the raised beds.(I'm definitely not yet a fan of Mel's SFG) I think the contents of this mix seems lacking, it drys out very quickly, doesn't really seem at all rich or fertile, like the garden ground. No worms in the raised beds, lots of root material left behind from other spring plants...Maybe I'm just not doing things right?

I will add that I have only had bug issues with the cabbage, found worms on it, and then regularly picked them off, but maybe it was too late by then?

What possibly could be the problem?

Sponsored