Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Structures

Posted by DawnStorm 7/MD (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 03 at 12:17

One thing I like about winter gardening is the fact that you can see the structure of trees, etc. I have a trumpet vine growing along my front yard fence, and at this time of year I can really see and appreciate the twining branches. I have a pic, but no scanner. It's really something though! Take a close look at trees as well. It's a new way of looking at things IMO.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Structures

Dawn, You are beginning to grow as a gardener. Keep looking, looking, looking, and planting, planting, planting, and reading all about gardens. Visit as many nurseries and gardens as you can and you will grow and learn even more. lu in pa

o

Winter gives us an opportunity to appreciate things in a new way. Instead of complaining about winter and the inconvenience it brings, it can be looked upon as a way to rediscover nature: the sculptural forms of branches, the textures and different hues of bark, berries, etc etc etc. These things are often lost in summer's lush display.

o

In winter, the structural elements in my garden -- stone lanterns, benches, basins, bird baths, statues and other sculptures, -- contrast nicely with the bare trunk and branch structure of deciduous shrubs and trees and with the evergreen foliage of bamboos, camellias, and ferns. Winter flowers (camellia, cherry, jasmine, et al) liven up the green and brown background with touches of bright color. Snow -- if we get it -- adds a dimension of un-reality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here