Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You know Spring is coming when...

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 04 at 15:06

The pu**y willows have buds! Yes they do in central Jersey right now! So we are not condemned to endless Winter.

ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You know Spring is coming when...

I wish I could be as optimistic as you but here in SE Wisconsin we just got through a week of single digit temp's and about a foot of new snow. It's finally warmed up into the 20's but guess what? Another 5" or so of snow is coming tonight! At this rate I feel like we'll be lucky to see Spring by June.

o

... when the crocus are blooming and the daffs are showing buds. So far we have had a very mild Winter, temperature wise, so quite a few flowers are already showing up.

Eduarda

o

Ditto:
I picked the first daffodils of the year today.

o

My first daffs opened today too. The hyacints are also in full swing smelling deliciously and the hardenbergia climber is so covered in blooms one can hardly see the leaves.

Eduarda

o

...we bring tulips which we have forced into to the house for a preview of Spring.

o

I've been watching my spring blooming witchhazel here in northern NJ - the buds seem to be swelling but that could be only my imagination and wishful thinking. I'll have to try to make it over to the pussy willow to see what those buds look like.

o

...you lose your gloves :-) 41F today, and if the yard weren't full of snow I would have been checking the beds for snowdrops and winter aconite. Instead I went shopping and abandoned my gloves somewhere. This is a ritual for me.

o

The streets suddenly resemble a landmine field with all the chuckholes or potholes.

o

Ok, here in Vermont, where we have real winter, we have another whole season to get through before spring - mud season! Right around the time the maple sap starts running, the dirt roads around here turn to chocolate pudding and if you don't have 4 WD, you may have to rely on the kindness of a neighbor with a tractor to help you get out of axle-deep mud just to get home after work.

o

when the lenten roses bloom, as mine are just now starting to.

o

When your neighbors venture out of their houses and greet like long lost family.
When you start seeing trucks loaded with flowering trees headed into town for the Lawn and Garden show!
Oh, I'm ready.

o

When the tiny species crocus bloom-- :)

o

when the clematis buds appear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here